Electrics to shed (one of three threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Putting in the first fix electrics, then getting a local spark to do the second, test and part P cert.

I have:

~10m internal 6mm T&E from the fuse box to an external junction

~10m of 6mm SWA, partly clipped to a wall in PVC conduit and partly buried.

Into the shed. Junction box and 3 double sockets on 2.5mm 3core and fused spur to 50W Fluor light using 2.5mm too.

The shed is likely to have small freezer or fridge freezer, heater now and then, TV, Stereo and the odd power tool. Questions are:

1. Does all that sound about right or do I need 10mm T&E and SWA. And maybe lesser in the shed T&E rather than 3 core?

2. Do any of the junction boxes need fuses?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Putting in the first fix electrics, then getting a local spark to do the second, test and part P cert.
Have you already got someone lined up who is happy to lie?

1. Does all that sound about right or do I need 10mm T&E and SWA. And maybe lesser in the shed T&E rather than 3 core?

You could at least have the decency to ask those questions of the electrician who you are expecting to put his reputation and career on the line by lying for you.

I've had different views from different sparks and I have my own. No problem getting a further opinion.

No problem with DIY getting signed off my competent professional.

You're obviously a spark that wouldn't do that and I'd find that a bit dodgy. Decent spark with plenty of work will do this for half a day rate.

Sounds like an exercise in using cables which are grossly oversized and completely unnecessary. 10mm even more so.

Hopefully not, as such a thing does not exist.

Sponsored Links
Hi, you just need a switched fuse connection unit with a 3amp fuse fitted in it to supply the lighting. Your sockets will be protected by a 16a or 20a mcb at the house consumer unit. Your electrician will decide which is required.

DS

Wow... Normally this forum is super helpful. You guys all polish electricians worried about being chucked out...

Thank deadshort. At least one constructive post

Perhaps I'm being negative as I've never seen DIY outdoor electrics installed to an acceptable standard. This is not good as there is so much more that can go wrong with wiring outside.

I don't mean to be be negative either, but it's only a bit of wire, put in according to some rules. I've read the rules but have little experience, was hoping for some good advice

Wow... Normally this forum is super helpful. You guys all polish electricians worried about being chucked out...

Thank deadshort. At least one constructive post

Well, you've just shot yourself in the foot.

DS

I've had different views from different sparks and I have my own.
But yours is uninformed and worthless.

No problem with DIY getting signed off my competent professional.
OK - you've found an unprincipled liar.

The chances of him actually being any good are not high.

You're obviously a spark that wouldn't do that and I'd find that a bit dodgy.
I'm not, and the fact that you find it dodgy that someone would not lie and break the law says volumes about what sort of person you are.

Decent spark with plenty of work will do this for half a day rate.
No - a decent spark would tell you to get stuffed.

I don't mean to be be negative either, but it's only a bit of wire, put in according to some rules. I've read the rules but have little experience, was hoping for some good advice
Here is some:

GET AN ELECTRICIAN TO DO THE WORK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back