electrics tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,...problem- garage lighting tripping the house main RCD switch, despite the garage has its own switch/circuit on the main house panel and also in the garage it is protected by its own smaller rcd panel.
I have eliminated the garage sockets by leaving lighting rcd switch off...nothing trips, but switching on rcd lighting circuit switch, not immediattley but shortly after tha main switch in the house trips.
In the garage, I cannot hear any crackling/shorting etc.

I am puzzled in as much that if the lights are faulty shouldnt it trip garage lighting circuit and or trip the house garage circuit.

comments/help would be appreciated.
den

Sponsored Links
Yes it should, we should use 1/3 of rating as we feed one RCD from another, typically 1 amp, 0.5 amp, 300 mA, 100 mA, 30 mA, and 10 mA are the common values, but that is often not possible and comply with 30 mA rules, so we do get 30 mA feeding 30 mA, and with AC we always have a little leakage due to capacitance and inductive leaking, so the house RCD will likely always trip first.

So what we should do is use SWA cable which does not need RCD protection and use a high integrity board so garage supply is not protected by house RCD, if not SWA next best is a RCBO in the house, so only that supply lost with garage fault.

But all down to cost, a consumer unit with all RCBO's is far less likely to interrupt the supply to non faulty circuits, and also reduces the back ground leakage per RCD (a RCBO is a MCB and RCD combined) but the consumer unit depending on make used could cost £400 instead of £70 so in domestic it is common to use the cheap option.

Commercial the down time due to loss of supply would be far greater than cost for all RCBO consumer units so they would always fit all RCBO where they can.

So the cure.
1) Find and remove the leakage problem.
2) Check if the CU in house is high integrity or not.
3) Check the type of cable feeding garage.
Decide is it worth the expense to stop same happening again in the future.

Also consider electric car, as if you want to charge an electric car likely a lot of changes will be required, so would be daft to do any upgrade and then have to do it all over again when you get an electric car.

Note:- High Integrity seems an odd name, not a clue why it is called that, but it means it has three neutral bars, this allows normally a couple of circuits either not RCD protected or protected using RCBO's, mothers house had a mini consumer unit for kitchen supplied without going through main RCD's.

So one method if only 2 neutral bus bars is to convert one half of board to all RCBO's, however it depends on age of the board, single width RCBO's have only been in common use for around 20 years, and the early ones were much larger than MCB's so could not be fitted in the older boards, also some firms have got out of Consumer unit manufacturer, and so some parts have gone into short supply. This was not helped by suppliers reducing the cost of the boards that were to be discontinued, so a lot of now obsolete boards were fitted.

ericmark, sadly alot of what you say is over my head.
just to mention, the cable to the garage is heavy armoured. the mcb from house and covering garge is B32 rated, which I assume covers all power to garage.
The mcb in garage covering lighting circuit is rated B6/5...(I cannot quite make the numbers out due to having a bit of cateract proble)

any suggestions please

ericmark, sadly alot of what you say is over my head.
just to mention, the cable to the garage is heavy armoured. the mcb from house and covering garge is B32 rated, which I assume covers all power to garage.
The mcb in garage covering lighting circuit is rated B6/5...(I cannot quite make the numbers out due to having a bit of cateract proble)

any suggestions please
Is that a proper steel wire armoured cable with the steel armour correctly earthed[some photos will be REALLY helpful for us to give you the best advice]. If it is it doesn not need to be running off your house RCD and the preference would be on just MCB in the house with no RCD.

Sponsored Links
the bulk of the electrics were installed by a neighbour a older qulified electrician (sadly now deceased) He was really confident in his work and him and his team did a fair number of big local installations that i followed out of interest.
The armoured cable is steel outer and is glanded into house consumer unit

Pictures is what is needed, it seems likely that the garage can be supplied without going through the house RCD, however since you did not understand all I said, seems likely you will need an electrician to do the work.

A RCBO is likely around £25 depending on make, so the cost difference if proper SWA with glands both ends or using stuffing glands is around £25 so does not really matter at this stage.

What does matter is if the house consumer unit is high integrity or not.

Clearly with the cover off very easy to see, but not sure about asking you to remove cover to take photo? It may be some one will recognise the box and know without removing the cover, so try that first, so we want.
1) Photo of house consumer unit showing front and the gland.
2) Photo of garage consumer unit showing the gland.

the bulk of the electrics were installed by a neighbour a older qulified electrician (sadly now deceased) He was really confident in his work and him and his team did a fair number of big local installations that i followed out of interest.
The armoured cable is steel outer and is glanded into house consumer unit
In that case it appears the cable doesn't need to be RCD protected and the circuit can be moved to a non RCD position in the board, if that is possible.

EDIT: Please follow Erics advice.

Last edited:
ok, will see if I can get photos, wont be for a couple of hours because got docs sppointment ok

Hi Guys I am back, and pleased to report that after disconnecting two old flourescent lights the problem seems to be sorted,
Lights in the garage have all been on now for a couple of hours and not tripped...

Not really sorted is it? Idea of loosing house power due to fault in garage is not very good. However I think to wait until you can get some one in the house safely to rectify is a good idea. I have a list of jobs that need doing once things have settled down.

NOooooo! I guess not, will have to get some user friendly guy in and give it a good looking at.
many thanks for your help on this.
den

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back