Emergency lighting in a flat conversion, required or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently doing a conversion of a Victorian terraced house to two apartments one upstairs and one downstairs, they share a short hallway entrance from the front door (mostly glass door) of the property before splitting.

The local building control officer is asking for emergency lighting in what he described as "dark areas".

Is he correct in asking for this or do the regs not apply to domestic dwellings?

If at all I think there could be a requirement in the shared area?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks Kevin.

Sponsored Links
I guess you're probably right, I have had other "issues" with him too. :mad:

Last one cost me £175 in extra calculations to prove him wrong. :evil:

At the end of the day I guess he can demand what he likes?

Cheers Kevin

Hello Kevin.

The 'regs' do apply do domestic wiring, but as you say , your local building control may have their own demands, (I was once asked to fit all boxes on joining walls onto wood etc, so that the neighbours could not hear the owner plugging stuff in and out ! :eek: ).

They will also be able to tell you where 'they' require any extra smoke/heat detectors etc.

Be friendly and put the kettle on, try and get on his good side or he might keep on your case !

As you wont have a landlords board I dont know how you would go about making it one occupiers responsibility, but I'm sure some bright spark on here can enlighten us !

Ed

Sponsored Links
He may be happy with one emergency lamp inside each of the internal "front doors" connected to that flats lighting circuit.

If either flat has a power failure their lamp will come on. For the upstairs flat this will illuminate the stairs.

For an emergency evacution when power has failed both doors are lit and the common area is lit when either door is opened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back