Emergency Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does Emergency Light require a key switch to operate to facilitate testing them? Does regs require them?
Factory Unit got loads of emergency lights in, but no keyswitches to test them, apart from turning MCBs off

Sponsored Links
I have tested many emergency lights on a weekend by turning off the MCB nothing wrong with that. The key switches are to allow one at a time to be tested without closing the factory. However I have also found the key switches in off position no one noticed the LED's were not lit. So in some ways seems a good idea not to have key switches if not really required.
I have also found where emergency lights were on their own MCB which is a little daft as should main lighting MCB trip the emergency lights would not work.
Also seen were discharge lights were used and did not have a delay on emergency lights so if short power cut everyone left in dark until main lights re-started.
So really no key switch is a very small fault if it is a fault.

Do not know the regs.
But most companies now have to regularly test and log.
As the staff are not allowed to touch mcbs then they need the switches to carry out the test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back