Emersion heater Element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1979 emersion heater that has a boost element and economy 7 element.
I want to replace both elements and thermostat. Is there any way to determine what type of elements I need without removing the old one first?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It’ll be x2 small ones by the sound of it, 11” or 14”. Is there a label on the cylinder or a size written on it anywhere?

It’ll be x2 small ones by the sound of it, 11” or 14”. Is there a label on the cylinder or a size written on it anywhere?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728_115618.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728_115618.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 245
14” but it appears they’re not common, so 11 might have to do

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I take it size of the thread is universal?

Generally, I don’t think I’ve had one different. If you’re undertaking the work yourself, make sure the electrics are isolated properly.

Sorry old thread. Had a family issue. I have attached 2 pictures of element one is economy 7 the other is day rate boost. What has truck me is shouldn't live be going to both thermostats? One is live on boost and the economy 7 is neutral. The emersion fuses have been removed for economy 7 and day. As it doesn't look safe to me. I have uploaded picture of both element's. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200911_131454.jpg
    IMG_20200911_131454.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20200911_131515.jpg
    IMG_20200911_131515.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20200911_131608.jpg
    IMG_20200911_131608.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 220
1. You are correct, live should go to the thermostat, although the additional safety is marginal.
2. BOTH need rewiring as a matter of urgency, as both show severe damage to the insulation, particularly on the live cables.
3. Unless there is sufficient slack in the cables to allow the wires to be stripped back to sound insulation and still connected without strain you will need new cables.
4. New cable should be heat resistant, not just ordinary 3 core.
5. The key to rewiring is to make sure the cables are securely and tightly connected to the terminals. So:
5a. Isolate all power to both immersions. Unless you are certain about what you are doing turn off the main consumer unit switches for normal and Economy 7 circuits.
5b. Remove existing wiring.
5c. Thoroughly clean the existing terminals. Take off the nuts and washers as necessary and clean them to get good electrical contact.
5d. Strip the outer sheath, trim back the inner cores just long enough to wrap round the terminals.
5e. Wrap each wire round its appropriate terminal, laying the wire to the left of the post then wrapping it round clock wise looking down.
5f. Make sure any washers are clean, and attach in the correct positions. If you have "cup" washers with a cut out, these go on first, the wire next wrapped round and out through the cut out, then the plain washer on top. All washers should be brass.
5g. Tighten the nuts down securely, making sure that no insulation is trapped under the wire. The nuts must be very tight, but of course not so tight as to strip the threads.
5h. Secure the outer cover in place with the necessary nuts on the earth pillar.
6. The main reason for wires getting damaged is arcing. These cables and terminals have about 15 amps of current at 230 v going through them whenever the immersion heater is on. The slightest looseness allows the cable to move and an arc to form, which is intensely hot.

1. You are correct, live should go to the thermostat, although the additional safety is marginal.
2. BOTH need rewiring as a matter of urgency, as both show severe damage to the insulation, particularly on the live cables.
3. Unless there is sufficient slack in the cables to allow the wires to be stripped back to sound insulation and still connected without strain you will need new cables.
4. New cable should be heat resistant, not just ordinary 3 core.
5. The key to rewiring is to make sure the cables are securely and tightly connected to the terminals. So:
5a. Isolate all power to both immersions. Unless you are certain about what you are doing turn off the main consumer unit switches for normal and Economy 7 circuits.
5b. Remove existing wiring.
5c. Thoroughly clean the existing terminals. Take off the nuts and washers as necessary and clean them to get good electrical contact.
5d. Strip the outer sheath, trim back the inner cores just long enough to wrap round the terminals.
5e. Wrap each wire round its appropriate terminal, laying the wire to the left of the post then wrapping it round clock wise looking down.
5f. Make sure any washers are clean, and attach in the correct positions. If you have "cup" washers with a cut out, these go on first, the wire next wrapped round and out through the cut out, then the plain washer on top. All washers should be brass.
5g. Tighten the nuts down securely, making sure that no insulation is trapped under the wire. The nuts must be very tight, but of course not so tight as to strip the threads.
5h. Secure the outer cover in place with the necessary nuts on the earth pillar.
6. The main reason for wires getting damaged is arcing. These cables and terminals have about 15 amps of current at 230 v going through them whenever the immersion heater is on. The slightest looseness allows the cable to move and an arc to form, which is intensely hot.
Thanks so much. Very informative

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back