emmersion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The emmersion heater has stopped working, is there a way of knowing if we just need to change the internal thermostat (which must be easier) or the whole element its self?

any advice welcome

cheers

Sponsored Links
Trivially easy if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. The immersion element would be around 20 Ohms, and it would have the mains across it! If you don't know what you'e doing though, don't go in there.

You need a multimeter set on volts, check for 240v on one sde of the thermostat and 240volts on the other.

If you have 240 on both its you element, if just on one then its your thermostat.

You can also do this with the meter on resisitance, but make sure you have the power off. Check for continuaty across the thermostat. if you get continuaty its the element thats at fault, usually an element will give you about 20-30Ohms depending on size.

Many thanks for your quick resaponse,

I can get hold f a multimeter, but unfortunately im a complete novice with testing electrics,

At the risk of sounding like a muppet how do i test 'both sides'???

apologies in advance...

Sponsored Links
Set meter to Volts AC

put one probe on one of the thermostat electrical connections and the other to neutral and check for 240 Volts do the same but move the probe to the other thermostat electrical connector.

Repeat the above but use an earth instead of a neutral. the results should be the same.

Be careful though as you are live testing and a hell of a belt can be had if you catch your fingers.

Thank you HG, ill try that.

Just to clarify; if there the same (240) on the neutral and the earth i take it i need a whole new immersion?

thanks again

Bit of a naff pic but there's the thermostat lifted up, and purplish riings round the element connections.

Live goes to one side of the thermostat, then there's a short wire to the element. The other side of the element goes to neutral.

No, you'll never get Live on a Neutral! All you can check with a voltmeter is that there's power on the "short wire" - ie that the thermostat isn't faulty.

If you check the element with the power off, a "blown" one would have a very high resistance.
immersion5-contacts.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back