"emmisions puzzle"

I learnt in my school physics lessons that matter cannot be created or destroyed...
Yes that is right, the total amount of matter and energy in the universe is constant.
No, imamartian was not right, because matter can be created from energy.

You weren't listening then, because I was told, and am repeatedly reminded by (amongst other sources) populist TV science magazines, that matter and energy are interchangeable.
Yes matter and energy are interchangeable, but matter is neither created or destroyed, by the process.
You're dangerously close to being correct there.

Sponsored Links
I learnt in my school physics lessons that matter cannot be created or destroyed...
Yes that is right, the total amount of matter and energy in the universe is constant.

Softus, may i reiterate.... i didn't postulate said argument.... i only typed it in... from a letter in the paper :D

and... if i may join in... how do any of us actually know if matter is constant? or how can you be so sure that matter is neither destroyed or created? the latest theory... is the string theory, and that there are 11 dimensions.... how can any of us comprehend that? let alone spout it (or dispute it) on an internet forum??....

What i say is lets change the tone a little... more emphasis on the word theory, and less on the phrase "ego trip". I don't intend to single any one person out... my frustration is not only about this thread, but this site as a whole .... lets put a few soapboxes away...

Softus, may i reiterate.... i didn't postulate said argument.... i only typed it in... from a letter in the paper :D
Oh blimey I've got a memory like a goldfish. Sorry. I was misled by the quoting in trazor's post. Sorry again.

and... if i may join in... how do any of us actually know if matter is constant?
It isn't.

or how can you be so sure that matter is neither destroyed or created?
I think it is both created and destroyed.

the latest theory... is the string theory, and that there are 11 dimensions.... how can any of us comprehend that?
Slowly?

let alone spout it (or dispute it) on an internet forum??
If only Stephen Hawking were a forum member. :(

What i say is lets change the tone a little... more emphasis on the word theory, and less on the phrase "ego trip". I don't intend to single any one person out... my frustration is not only about this thread, but this site as a whole .... lets put a few soapboxes away...
whiteflag.gif

Sponsored Links

Before the divergence into the annihilation of matter and soap boxes though, are you happy with the mass of oxygen added to the carbon being responsible for the mysterious gain?

The letter writer says it's 4 times the weight, but his figures come out at more like 3.5 times. The weight of the hydrogen in the petrol is relatively minor as the atomic weight of hydrogen is only 1.

or how can you be so sure that matter is neither destroyed or created?
I think it is both created and destroyed.

1)There is a scientific law called the Law of Conservation of Mass, discovered by Antoine Lavoisier in 1785. In its most compact form, it states:
matter is neither created nor destroyed.

2)In 1842, Julius Robert Mayer discovered the Law of Conservation of Energy. In its most compact form, it it now called the First Law of Thermodynamics:
energy is neither created nor destroyed.

3)In 1907 (I think), Albert Einstein announced his discovery of the equation E = mc2 and, as a consequence, the two laws above were merged into the Law of Conservation of Mass-Energy:
the total amount of mass and energy in the universe is constant.

At a stroke, Softus destroys the work of three of the most eminent scientists ever.

Petrol is mostly octane; molecular mass 106 of which 96 is carbon. This means that 106 grams of petrol contains 96 grams of carbon and this, as blondini pointed out many posts ago, will produce 96 x 42 / 12 = 336 grams of CO2.

From this we can work out that 67 grams of petrol will produce 67 x 336 / 106 = 212.4 grams of CO2. The figures are not that far out. The quoted CO2 emission of 235 grams/km equates to 11 x 212.4 / 235 = 9.94 km/litre. Your careful driving is getting you 10% extra free. Keep up the good work. :D :D :D

And on the subject of conservation of mass ---

At this precise moment, mass is being created about 5m from where I'm sitting. :cool: :cool: :cool: Unfortunately, positrons don't live long in our corner of the universe. :( :( :(

At a stroke, Softus destroys the work of three of the most eminent scientists ever.

what you need to remember is Softus is an out and out pedant.

you must be more specific.

he was inferring that matter and energy are interchangeable and whilst one is destroyed another form is created.

read betwix the lines.

You don,t say................ :LOL:

you must be more specific.

I will try.............. :LOL:

he was inferring that matter and energy are interchangeable and whilst one is destroyed another form is created.

Specifically, matter and energy are interchangeable, NEITHER are destroyed or created during this process.

read betwix the lines

Are you Softus using one of your other online personas............. :LOL:

I'm not a pedant; I'm just precise.

Indeed I was.

Specifically, matter and energy are interchangeable, NEITHER are destroyed or created during this process.
If you're going to argue then at least get the grammar right: "...neither is destroyed". ;)

Are you Softus using one of your other online personas
Yes he is, but he'll never admit it.

Sponsored Links
Back