empty stove back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
  1. Hi, my central heating used to run off the back boiler in my multifuel stove. I have now upgraded my central heating and the stove boiler has been disconnected, all pipework removed. However i will be still using my butner stove from time to time to heat the room. Am i ok to operate the stove as it is with an empty back boiler that hasnt been capped off ir do i need to fill it with some sort if sand?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Makes no difference as long as it's vented (open ends) However the wall thickness is probably thinner than the stove so it will burn through. You really need some form of insulation board separating it from the fire - or better still remove it and fit the manufacturer's insulating block.

Thanks for the reply. The backboiler is fully integrated into the stove and cannot be removed, the stove had also been discontinued and doubt there will be any onsulation for it. Would sand or anything else prevent or prolong the fire burning through?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Would fire bricks do the same as this insulation? The insulation is expensive and I already have a few fire bricks and can get more cheap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back