Empty water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry this is probably a dumb question, I looked around the Wiki but couldnt find any info.

I have just moved into a new house which has a baxi bermuda 552 back boiler system, however, the water tanks have been drained and I dont know how to refill them.

The system was checked for rental pruposes in Oct 2008 and passed, but the property has been empty for about the last 12 months which I presume is why the last owner had the tanks drained?

There is a water valve in the tank cupboard that leads to an electrical pump, this valve is open and the pump has an electricity supply to it. There is a plastic tank at the top, and a big metal cyclinder tank below, which is split in two. I can look in this big tank and there is a ball-cock in it.

Please can anyone offer advise on how to fill up the tanks?

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Firstly you need to check the system has only been drained for frost precautions, nothing is faulty or leaking.....

The plastic tank I am presuming is a small one, likely the Feed and Expansion tank for the central heating/boiler. The bigger metal cylinder might be a 'Fortic' from your description.

Firstly ascertain the water supply to both is on, if the ballvalves are stuck shut a quick wiggle will free them off. (Bear in mind they may not shut off properly if they havent been used so make sure overflow's are connected to outside!) Once system starts to fill make sure nothing is leaking, and any radiators fitted will need bleeding if its all been drained.

Also if you intend to use the Baxi I would strongly recommend you get it checked and serviced by a Gassafe engineer prior to using it.

Big tank wont be a fortic because you have a F&E tank which is the small one feeding the back boiler.
The small tank at the top of the metal tank (probably an Elson or Rolyat) feeds the HW supply, if you have no water to both trace the pipes back from a ballvalve & see if you can find a 1/4 turn service valve, it looks like a straight coupling with a screw slot in the middle of it. If you find one of these turn the slot so it's in line with the pipe & it should start filling (this is assuming you've turned on the mains stop tap)
When you do find out how to fill this system you are going to have fun with air locks, so be prepared to hear plenty of pipes rattling & banging.

Sponsored Links
Big tank wont be a fortic because you have a F&E tank which is the small one feeding the back boiler
Think you're confusing a fortic and primatic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back