feed tank in attic was empty ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi need some advice before i make my next move a few hours ago there was a loud rumble come from the attic and then the heating system in the bathroom start making a odd noise, i switched everything off as i had to go out i've since got back and discoved, the tank in the attic was empty the ball cock was somehow lodged on the overflow outlet pipe head so hadnt been refilling. I have pushed it back into the correct position,and refilled the tank.
On looking into the water tank in the bathroom discovered that the ceiling plaster beneath the attic tank was now in the bathroom water tank.

Ive cleaned out the big pieces and hand removed as much crap as i can and removed and replaced the water.

I pushed the button that switches the heat on and its making the funny noise still and so is the water heat switch ive left it on off but im now freezing with 3 children in the house any ideas ??????

Sorry for the long post !!!!

Sponsored Links
You will most certainly have an airlock somewhere now. May be easier for you just to totally drain and refill the system.

Turn off the water at the header tank.
Turn off the boiler electrics.
Manually open any motorised valves by moving the small lever across and locking in place in the small notch).
Open the drain valve (valves)
Open the bleed valves on the rads. (There may also be an air vent at the cylinder coil)

Put the kettle on and have a cup of tea.

Close the drain valve(s)
Close the air vents on the rads
Turn the water back on. (You may want to add some inhibitor to the tank)
Bleed the radiators one at a time starting with lowest and working up.
Turn the heating back on.

Sponsored Links
As a newbie to this task (I have it lined up to do tomrow morning) I'll try to add the benefit of my research:

This is a relatively simple task but you need to familiarise yourself with the key componenets before you do it (none of them complex).

Firstly, where is your drain point for the central heating system? Mine is well hidden under the floor and took me ages to find. Essentially it should be the lowest point in your system and will include some type of basic tap to open up.

The motorised valves referred to in the last post should be near the boiler and control whether the water flows through the water heating circuit and/or the central heating circuit. They are normally open when the central hetaing or water heating is active. However, they do have a small lever (usually underneath) that allow them to be stuck open. It took ages ot find the lever on mine because my valves are only an inch or so above the floor and I could not underneath them. Forcing them to be permanently open ensures that ll the water in the boiler is properly drained and, critically, refilled when you refill the system.

After you know where all the parts are it is exactly as tamz describes.

iep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back