Emulsion not drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wallpapered my stairs and made a fabulous job, if I may say.
Went to B&Q and bought some of that Dulux emulsion pink stuff that later goes white.
Lovely.
Trouble is, 10 weeks later, it's still not dried out!
Not wet, but tacky everywhere on the hall, stairs and landing.
No damp/condensation/heating/ventilation problems.
Finally went to B&Q yesterday to complain, and now await someone coming out.
Now, before they arrive and try to baffle me with technical jargon, any advice?
Could it be just a bad batch of paint? If so, why did they say no-one else had complained? Strike that; they would, wouldn't they.
Last time I painted the stairs - with a different brand - I had no such problems. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hmm thats interesting. Sorry I hav'nt used this 'trackerpaint' but will watch post with interest.
One thing though! you say wallpapere'd is it 'Blown vinyl and silk emulsion? :?: If so this sometimes leaves a tacky feel, bit like when you emulsion over pvc cable it's still tacky forever. even though it is dry. Often find when takin pics off walls they are stuck against the vinyl & paint. I was told the reasom for this once something to do with pvc transporting through emulsion film but can't remmeber now. Zampa will probly know :LOL:
good luck

Nail on the head time here, confidentincompetent!
If you're right - which I don't doubt - why isn't it made clear on the wallpaper or the tub?
Or are my glasses in need of renewing.
I mean, there's tacky and then there's fly-paper. Can't move for 'em on the staircase.
Can't believe they sell paint that never dries without telling you?
It must be cheaper than the anti-vandal paint they use on school drainpipes. ;)

Hmm intresting one,....firstly, dont rely on someone from B&Q coming out ,they will know sod all about the mechanics of the paint....ring dulux and ask their help line.

I know exactly what CC means about the pvc cable ive had the same experience but only with oil based gloss paint though.

And the sticky feeling of silk sometimes....

But it might not be the paint...it could be the brand of blown vinyl, that could have the faulty batch...or just be incompatable with this type of paint.

A suggestion....go and buy a tin of ordinary vinyl matt finish and paint an area of the offending wall to see how it dries....

If you have never heard of a paint that never dries, try dulux aquatecwater based gloss....thats not far off anti vandal paint!...as CC will probably testify...its crap!

Sponsored Links
water based gloss sucks . sorry had to get that off my chest working with painters that say i should move with the times. these guys dont use it if they cant wash it off with water. how long after paper went up did u paint it and what sort of paste did you use was it a ready mix or a soluble powder type. not that i have an answer just wnated to know what to avoid ;) my guess is that its as has been said above if its wet it will rub off on ya finger . if its tacky and uve used a pvc based ready mixed paper paste and wasnt dry before paint was applied they could have fused with the pvc giving that squeaky finger feel ive not used this pink paint either but ten weeks is enough to dry a pair of wet jeans if they were pasted to the walls

Hold on a bit there, Zampa, you are referring to 'the sticky feel of silk' as in paint? Seemed like a few memories coming back there!
As for B&Q, I complained on Sunday, and the 14yo manager said she'd tell the another manager to ring me on Monday. Never said which Monday, though. As for Dulux... you've just reminded me I have a friend who is a 'proper' manager of Dulux. I'll ring him.
I'll pass on trying an area with matt for a while - the wife will prefer it and have me giving it all another 2 coats!
Madfunkymonkey - it was a packet or two of Solvite I used. The paper was definitely dry before painting, flies could still walk on it.
It's not really wet, but it's more tacky than Les and Cilla's wedding on Coro.
I'll report back when B&Q's manager gets out of detention, and once I've contacted my mate. ;)

Johnboy54 said:
Nail on the head time here, confidentincompetent!
If you're right - which I don't doubt - why isn't it made clear on the wallpaper or the tub?
Or are my glasses in need of renewing.
I mean, there's tacky and then there's fly-paper. Can't move for 'em on the staircase.
Can't believe they sell paint that never dries without telling you?
It must be cheaper than the anti-vandal paint they use on school drainpipes. ;)

Blimey it must be bad to still be flypaper. :eek: The worst I had with this prob was when I had to take a wall unit off, when I unscrewd it the edges had stuck solid and ruined paper. I Presume it is SILK emulsion?
Have you tested paint on unpapered area? Like zampa says it could be the paper, maybe got a residue of maufacturing chemicals trapped into it, sometimes my delicate nostrils pick up a strong pong when cutting out this stuff. I think the sik on bare b/v is the sticking point :LOL: (sorry) It is written somewhere that first coat should be MATT followed by the silk finish. This info I know is sadly lacking on labels but sometimes you see on blownvinyl labels FOR BEST RESULTS USE A MATT EMULSION FOR FIRST COAT. . The matt coat when dry should stop the reaction of the silk paint and vinyl face. Hope you let us know what rep says .
good luck.

madfunkymonkey said:
but ten weeks is enough to dry a pair of wet jeans if they were pasted to the walls

Just like my muky overalls :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back