Matt emulsion won't stick to sanded wall????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm in the process of decorating my stairs and hallway, and one of the 'walls' I'm wanting to paint with dulux Matt emulsion is the wall that houses the under stairs cupboard.

Now when I say 'wall' it actually appears to be paneled wood with about 50 years worth of white paint on top, the top coat being a satinwood finish applied by the last occupant.

I want to paint it to match the rest of the walls, grey in this case, so I sanded the satinwood down with a palm sander (dust everywhere!!) to give it a key, then tried a test area with my Matt emulsion.....

BUT.... after drying for 24 hours the emulsion just comes off with a fingernail, and with hardly any effort either, there's just no adhesion to the wall at all.

Researched a bit and came up with the idea of an adhesion primer?? Saw Zinsser 123 and BIN names knocking about, but I can't figure out of these or any other primers are the right thing to use as I've never used one before?

Any ideas on if an adhesion primer would work?

The photos below give an idea of the issue....

:)

Sponsored Links
Did you vacuum then wash off all the dust and dirt?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back