Matt emulsion over vinyl matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple one - bu cant find a definitive answer - ive got a room painted with vinyl matt paint - it has a slightly glossy feel to it compared to matt emulsion.

if i want to paint matt emulsion over the top do i need to do anything to prepare the walls or will it hold OK wiothout?

Do i need to sand them / mist coat / PVA / a combination of them?

Thanl you!

Joe

Sponsored Links
Never put PVA anywhere near anything you are going to paint.

I'd always sand the walls before painting with a pole sander to remove previous imperfections, otherwise you will only exacerbate them. Don't have to go mad, shouldn't take all day.

If you are sure it is vinyl matt and not silk, you should be fine to crack on.

Bear in mind that any paint is only as good as the paint underneath, so if the existing paint is peeling or badly adhered in any way, it will affect your finish. If you are unsure, I'd chuck a bit up on one wall and see how it looks in the morning.

thanks for the advice. it's definitely vinyl Matt as we have the paint cans that the previous owners used. luckily the walls are in good nick, with no peeling etc but we will slap on a bit and see how it looks in the morning.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back