Matt paint over vinyl paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do I need to do to a wall that has vinyl paint on it if I want to paint over it with matt emulsion?

Sponsored Links
All depends in what type of Vinyl Paint ! Is it Vinyl Matt, Soft Sheen or Silk ? Also what Brand and exact name is the Matt ? Is the surfaces flat or textured etc ?

Hello third ear - thanks for the response. Fred36 is my better half and she's gone to bed proper poorly - so I'm answering your questions!

The existing paint - make unknown, but it's quite a glossy, shiny finish. Walls are flat plaster, but the existing finish is bumpy/uneven - due I think to many blobby, uneven coats over the years, by looks of it, so sand paper gets the nibs/raised brush marks but doesn't touch the lower parts.

Paint to go over is Dulux Rich Matt, (not Trade version) - white.

In our last house, we have previously painted matt over a vinyl silk, and had a "crazing effect" in a few places, which i'd like to avoid this time round.

Any tips gratefully received.

PS Just noticed I typed "Third Ear"! Sorry, Third Eye, bit of a freduian slap or something going on there. No offence intended. :oops:

Sponsored Links
To cut a long story short, take the Dulux Rich Matt back and hopefully get your money back. Then buy Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell and use this over your "but it's quite a glossy, shiny finish.".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back