Vinyl matt paint at B&M Stores.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello painting people,

B&M Stores are confusing me, see this link they are selling 10ltrs of vinyl matt paint for £12.
I can't find anything as cheap as this.
But, the description says vinyl but the photo doesn't.

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/...tract-vinyl-matt-emulsion-magnolia-10l-219512

I went into the shop and the price sign below them even said vinyl matt, but the tubs just say matt.

Am I right in thinking they have just totally messed up their description here?

Or is it that all Johnstones matt is vinyl so they don't actually write it on their tubs?

Also, whilst I'm on the subject... Is there any other terms for "vinyl matt"?
Like, I see some called "endurance matt", is that just a marketing name for vinyl matt?

Cheers : - D

Sponsored Links
Most emulsions are vinyl.

It is an "ingredient" used in the paint, as opposed to, for example, distemper wall paints which are lime based.

Contract paints and new plaster paints tend to have a lower vinyl content and are typically harder to wipe clean.

"endurance matt" paints are more scrubbable than standard vinyl matt paints, with the caveat that if you wipe the same spot too often, it may become more shiny than the rest of the wall.

Last year I purchased a 5L tin of crown matt emulsion from a local decorators' merchant. It took about 5 coats to cover light scuff marks on a white wall. I threw the paint away.

If your own labour time has no value then go ahead and buy the Johnstones paint, alternatively, buy a paint that will cover in two coats rather than 5. The paint will cost about 4 times more but will save hundreds in labour (depending on how you calculate your own labour value).

"I went into the shop and the price sign below them even said vinyl matt, but the tubs just say matt."

In my local B&M I have to use the web to find out how much things cost, the shelf end cap label is often wrong. I once asked a member of staff how much a product was, I explained that they had the wrong product price/code under it. They looked at the incorrect price tag and said "well, the item weighs slightly less than the one on the label, so I guess it will be slightly cheaper". I try to avoid B&M.

Hiya, thanks for the detailed reply. I had no idea vinyl was in all emulsions.

The issue I have is that I want to sell my maisonette soon.

The original paint on my stairway got scratched from carrying my bike up and down the stairs and I noticed it wasn't even attached to the wall and easily peeled off in massive sheets.

So I peeled it all off and mist coated the bare plaster with standard white matt emulsion (from screwfix after reading good reviews for the paint).

Now I need to put magnolia over the top, but my bikes have marked the white again where I've left it a couple of months. If I was to try and wipe these black marks off, the paint would come off too.

This is why I started reading about vinyl matt paints.

I just want to paint this stairway as cheap as possible and that I can wipe my bike marks off without ruining it again.
But yeah I definitely appreciate the difference between watery cheap paints needing 5 coats and good ones 2 coats, I'm definitely a 2 coat man lol.

IMG_2074.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back