Vinyl Matt Emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I recently bought a tub of Johnstones Vinyl Matt Emulsion that I want to use an an undercoat for my walls (which are painted but I want to repaint)

Is it ok to use this? The guy at the paint shop said its fine - just checking as I'm not too sure and I don't want it to be the wrong paint!!!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
What is on the walls at the moment?..if its gloss or oil based eggshell then you cant use it.

If its vinyl silk or softsheen the id recommend you rub the walls down completly to get rid of the sheen first

If its matt..your ok

When you say 'undercoat' I pressume you mean as a first coat and you dont have any intentions of glossing over it.

At the moment, it is just a matt paint that I want to paint over.

Yeah, I mean I want to use the vinyl matt emulsion as a first coat, then I'm going to paint over with 2 coats of B&Q matt emulsion.

Is this ok to do?

Thanks.

Yep..just give the existing wall a rub down to remove any nibs on the surfaces and carry on.

Oh...if your using a new roller sleeve make sure you give it a good wash out under a tap first to help remove any loose pile.

Sponsored Links
Be carefull "rekamon".............

In unique situations when you use an diferent brand over another soooooooooooooooooooooo close together in terms of time, then sometimes it can cause blistering, sising, crocodiling etc..............

One of many of my CLIENT's have called me up to explain that they used an certain brand for an first coat and then used a different brand for following coats for the emulsion to all start the crocodilile effect etc

So be very carefull with the route you are taking.

Hi third_eye,

Now you're scaring me, I've already bought both paints - should I try on a small area first with one type and then the other over the top?

If I use the first coat, can I leave it a certain period of time before I apply the 2nd coat?

Any hints/tips greatly appreciated.

Third_Eye said:

In unique situations when you use an diferent brand over another soooooooooooooooooooooo close together in terms of time, then sometimes it can cause blistering, sising, crocodiling etc..............

One of many of my CLIENT's have called me up to explain that they used an certain brand for an first coat and then used a different brand for following coats for the emulsion to all start the crocodilile effect etc

It does happen, as really you shouldnt use different makes on the same walls.

I'm not saying it will happen to you, but it does happen.

And..if it does happen both paint companies will offer no help whatsoever

rekamon said:
Hi third_eye,

Now you're scaring me, I've already bought both paints - should I try on a small area first with one type and then the other over the top?

If I use the first coat, can I leave it a certain period of time before I apply the 2nd coat?

Any hints/tips greatly appreciated.

To be safe then take back the Johnstones Vinyl Matt.

Then overcoat your already Matt Walls with your B&Q Matt Emulsion. i.e. there is no need to "undercoat" your walls as they are already of an Matt finish.

You see the thing is some paints can react to different makes when used over each other when used in a short space of time.

This, as explained above, i would not want this to happen happen to you. Resulting in you being out of pocket.

Do let us know what happens when you take your paint back and you tell the shop owner the reason for bringing it back is....someone scared the crap out of you on the internet.

Oh and by the way..the shop owner would be responsible here as it was bought on their say/so.

In many, many years of decorating, this problem has never happened to me or my partner.

No "Growler"........................

I have explaind to "Rekamon" that he does not need the Johnstone's Vinyl Matt.

Therefore saving him/her prob £25.......................

Hi, sorry to hijack (but this has been closed for a while!) I'm half way through repainting my back bedroom two of which walls & ceiling were fresh plaster. So I have painted two mist coats of Dulux Matt Emulsion PBW and I'm about to start with my two finishing coats of Crown 'Naturals' Matt Emulsion should I also start to worry?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back