Emulsion onto PVA ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The emulsion paint is flaking on the bathroom ceiling mostly above the shower.

I have been told to scrape the flaking paint back to where the paint is sound then cover the area with PVA before repainting with emulsion.

The problem is I have read on all the PVA available locally that you cant apply water based paint onto the PVA as it is also water based.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you for reading.

Sponsored Links
No No a thousand times NO! Do not on any account use PVA, when you try to apply your colour it will be like trying to paint over teflon!
Lots of problems on here from people who have done just that, use a proper sealer like Zinsser.

http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/gardz/

Or Zinsser Bullseye 123 should do the job too I use it on a similar bathroom ceiling but did end up stripping off all the old paint first, I think gardz may penetrate old paint to some extent but to what degree will depend on the paint that was used.

If you have trouble getting it any good trade paint outlet will sell something similar.

That will sort it out.
Regards,
footprints
:D

Thanks "Footprints" for the feedback. I cant find either product locally although I have not tried Wicks yet. I an sure that a PVA is available that is non water based, perhaps solvent or similar.

I have stripped a quarter of the emulsion off & the rest is sound, I don't think I should re-paint the ceiling without applying something first.

Are there any other products more widely available?

Both B&Q and Wickes don't sell Zinnser, I think. Crown decorator centers do it. Oil based undercoat may be an option, cheaper aswell. Zinnser is the best option but a little pricey if you not using it all the time.

Sponsored Links
Do a search for for Brewers or other trade paint suppliers you can get it easily on line too. Depends where you are in kent I only know suppliers in the Bromley area myself.

Thanks for the replies.

I have found Brewers in Folkestone or Ramsgate both about 15 miles in opposite directions, I'm in Deal near Dover. Crown are in Chatham about 50 miles away.

I will check them out in the morning & keep yer posted.

If it's a stain, use a stain block or an oil undercoat.

If it's bare plaster, just apply a watered down coat of white.

PVA is water soluble and you can easily wash the walls with a soapy solution. First, test a small area before painting the whole area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back