Sealing/Stabilising PVA

24 Mar 2020
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I have recently had some ceilings plastered and the plasterer has left a band of PVA around the top of the walls all the way round the room approx 6 inches down the wall. I need to paint the walls in emulsion and the PVA wont shift so can anyone recommend a good product to coat over the PVA as a primer before applying emulsion? I have read Zinsser Bin is good but can flash badly?

Sponsored Links
Assuming that the PVA hasn't left ridges, perhaps try some SBR over the top of it.

Unfortunately, it may be difficult to buy small quantities of SBR. Ultimately, any waterproof paint- eg oil based undercoat, BIN, etc will prevent the PVA from re-emulsifying. BIN will cure the fastest.

I often use BIN, I don't have issues with it flashing. Obviously, the emulsion over the BIN will take longer to dry though.

BTW, if you use BIN, buy a £2 bottle of household ammonia to clean the roller or brush. The ammonia is an alkali and completely breaks down the alcohol/shellac based BIN. Before discovering that, I used throw away brushes. I am now happy to use £18 brushes with BIN because I know that the ammonia will leave them as good as new.

Ammonia stinks. I pour it in to old jars (with lids) and use it as and when required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links