emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have painted my lounge ceiling with two coats of white emulsion but there are streaks where roller has been is this normal and will it dry out a little better?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
all you can really do is let it dry out and then inspect it, ceilings can be awkward because they change with the light.
If you need to do it again try and do it methodically, i'll try and explain how i do them.

Think of a rectangle and now imagine thats your ceiling.(presuming you've cut the edge in)

Start at the top left corner and roll towards the middle and then roll back again to the top edge covering about two widths of the roller, then do exactly the same again but gently back roll to where you started once the roller needs refilling.
Do this until you reach the middle or a third of the room (depending on size) and then do exactly the same from the other side ie the bottom left corner of your rectangle towards the middle. Roll into where you have already painted on the other side, back roll and then do single light one way strokes from bottom to middle with very light pressure and just slightly into where you had already painted. This lays the paint off and ensure the roller is still spinning when you lift it from contact with the ceiling.
So once your half way again go back to the other side and pick up where you've left off.
Dont be tempted to go over what may look like a miss its likely to be where the paint has dried and you'll cause drying marks. Use a pole and a good sleeve and its a hell of a lot easier to do in an empty room and try to work quite quickly without rushing and making mistakes, if your really struggling you could add some floetrol to keep the wet edge longer.

Hope that makes sense! Let me know if it doesn't

Thanks for your reply DDec sounds like a practical approach.Will see how it looks in the morning .The way I did it was a roller length from end to end,then went back to where I started first roller and did a second then third and so on.So a single roller on top or next to the previous .Your method covers more space all at once so yes will give it a go pending the drying out.

Thanks again mate

Ive tried putting another two coats of paint on my ceiling but have made it look ten times worse.Every time it dries I still have the marks.You stand underneath the ceiling and you cant see them but as you look down the room they are visible.I've never come across this before and could use a little more advice if any out there..is it the paint I wonder? which is Wickes trade Matt with a brand new roller ...stumped.Or is it that when it all dries out it'll be fine but finished it this morning and still looks bad.

Sponsored Links
is it the paint I wonder? which is Wickes trade Matt

Absolutely. Wickes trade paint has become terrible in the last year or two and the problem you describe is encountered by nearly everyone that uses it. It also usually gives the 'orange peel' finish.

Give the whole ceiling a rub down with 180 grit sandpaper (sounds drastic but you are only sanding the roughness of the paint away and not back to the plaster). You can do it by hand but a pole sander would make life easier. Once done, dust off and use a decent trade emulsion (Dulux, Johnstones, Crown etc.), slightly thinned, and you should see a vast difference.

All British paints conform to a Brit Standard. Nowt wrong with Wickes stuff - it's the painter.

Spoonse,

What roller sleeve are you using, short, medium, or long pile.

Dec

Spoonse, using a good sheepskin roller @ about £10 (rather than a cheapo shed one for £2) may well give better results.

Spoonse,

Just let us know what grade of sleeve you are using, in this type of situation it can often lead to the cause of your problem.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back