Emulsioning new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many coats of 50:50 water/emulsion should be applied to new plaster

Sponsored Links
Oh, someone else of here told me it had to be 50:50 mix.
Its confusing

The back the emulsion tin normally states 10%. I'm in the trade, definitely 10%.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I did think 50:50 would be like painting water on the wall. I have read you can buy special type of substance that you paint on the wall.

A decorator I've known for years, in his own house used masonry white paint diluted at 10% as first coat.
He uses contract matt diluted 10% in customers homes.
Any thoughts?

A decorator I've known for years, in his own house used masonry white paint diluted at 10% as first coat.
Any thoughts?

Masonry paints contain fungicides that are not suitable inside.

Personally, I am not a fan of using contract paints as base coats. I would rather dilute "proper" emulsion (as per the manufacturer's instructions).

It is worth noting that the thinner the paint, the more the paint splatter when rolling. I try to stay clean when working. I walk in to the pub after a day of rolling walls looking as clean as I did when I turned up on site in the morning. I don't have "work clothes" other than when I know a job is going to be messy.

Buy some contract Matt. 10 litres of Leyland trade for about 15 quid. 20% water will be fine!

You will find the back of a Leyland Trade will specify 10%. I don't it greatly matters, just as long as you get it to soak in.

I've just always stuck to adding a litre of water to a 10 litre tub.

Any thoughts?
I would say, that's good advice with the emulsion but I would have to look into the masonry idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back