En-suite on new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we bought a house 3 years ago from a well known builders, a month ago the en-suite started leaking through the kitchen ceiling in more than one place. On investigation our plumber found the waste pipe was leaking on all joints as the welds had failed. The pipe was unsupported and flowed towards the toilet... I have approached the builder to fix but they say it’s nothing to do with them... my question is should a waste pipe drain to or away from toilet? Should a waste pipe be supported?

Attachments

• 06D9D8E1-E077-430B-BD05-6E8E854C5F27.jpeg
    06D9D8E1-E077-430B-BD05-6E8E854C5F27.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 054DDF2F-ABE7-4E80-9181-F87B04B0B3A4.jpeg
    054DDF2F-ABE7-4E80-9181-F87B04B0B3A4.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
Need more photos but doesn't look right at all. All wastes should fall away from the item they are serving, towards the drain... hence "drain away". I take it the toilet is on the right, above the black soil elbow that goes up through the floor above?
What is leaking? The soil branch pipe from the toilet? Solvent weld should not fail if done properly and on the correct type of pipe.
Do you not have a guarantee from the house builder?

Builders warranty ran out after 2 years and the NHBC warranty said that only covers fabric of the house not wiring or plumbing. :-/ yes toilet is above the black elbow, the metal support strap is one my plumber put on as when he removed the ceiling the pipe sagged down below the plasterboard...

Is there any reason at all that it could have been installed intentionally like this and so builder couldn’t be responsible for it as I am thinking of a small claims case.

I bet it always had a backfall and the weight of water sat in it has made it drop further over time.

Sponsored Links
Is there any reason at all that it could have been installed intentionally like this and so builder couldn’t be responsible for it as I am thinking of a small claims case.

No its just shoddy work and regardless if the builder did it or had (so called) plumbers in to do it, he should have seen it was wrong and had it put right! FFS, "someone" should have spotted it, or they did and couldn't give a feck!

Speak to your insurers, you may have legal cover and some recourse there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back