Enclosed space under mezzanine floor (industrial)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
New to this forum so how do you do everybody!

I have 2 queries:
1) Which are the relevant regs that apply to my situation?
2) What is the process re. compliance with the regs?

Background:
I've bought a free standing pre-fab mezzanine floor to install in an industrial unit. The unit is 13mx14m. The mezz is 6mx9m, 2.5m high - steel construction - RSJs, perlins, steel posts, hand rail, stairs etc with heavy duty board flooring - all very sturdy and well engineered.

The purpose of the mezz is as a raised storage area only - no work space up there.

However, my intention is to create 2 enclosed workshop spaces underneath the mezz - 6mx6m and 6m x 3m. Both having independent access to the main space in the unit.

Construction would be timber stud walling from floor to underside of mezz (the mezz is in a corner so no need for other walls). The intention is for these spaces to be clean and free from dust etc from the rest of the space. Not sure about outer and inner coverings yet - needs to be sturdy enough to take a few knocks.

The main space is used for general car maintenance / repairs and there will be about 4 or 5 people working there.

I've had a brief skim through approved doc B (fire safety) and it appears that enclosing the space raises questions re. compliance with building regs.
What I want to know is which parts of the regs are relevant to me - do I need to look at compliant materials / finishes, fire issues re. doors & windows / lagging of the steel uprights etc in a project this size?
It seems a bit odd somehow, considering all the ramshackle constructions I've seen in industrial units over the years (that's not to say that's 'right' though!)

Also the process itself is new to me so I wanted to know how it works.
Do any plans need to be signed off by Building control before work commences?
Or is it the case that whatever I build has to comply but does not actually need prior approval? (sorry I probably should know the answer to that but never been here before!)

I did speak to Building control briefly. The guy was very friendly but basically said - send us a sketch, get an architect, send in some plans and a £200 admin fee and we'll go from there!

Hope some of you can give me a few pointers.
Si

Sponsored Links
With regard to Part B, your main issue is probably means of escape from the inner room(s). If a fire occured in the main area, escape from the inner rooms may be compromised.
Can you fit doors to any external walls of the inner rooms?

You will definately be in for fire safety and structure at least.

The company that you bought the mezzanine from should be able to provide you with all of the structural details and calculations and this will form part of the information you will need to send to be assessed.

You can use the local authority building control (LABC) or an Approved Inspector but either way, you will need consent and certification as part of your insurance, let alone your duties under the Regulatory Reform Order.

Along with your structural information you will need to submit a set of plans showing the current and proposed situation.

If they need any more information then they will ask you for it... (One thing that the company may not provide is a detail for how the mezzanine is fixed to the floor...)

Thanks for a really quick replies.

Unfortunately the mezz was second hand - had to dismantle it ourselves. Will need to do structural calculations ourselves.

Okay, so prior consent is required.

I'd like to get a bit of a heads up on the key areas just so I can keep a bit of a lid on professional fees and time.

I need to sit and read through the fire safety regs again slowly but which other parts do you suggest I look at re. structure / materials for stud walls etc?

Or, would better advice be just to crack on with Building control and let them advise me?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Building Control are not an advisory service this is a common misconception, though some BCO’s are more accommodating than others in this respect. AFAIK they will not allow you to do a commercial application on a ‘Notice’ so will likely expect existing and proposed plans, calcs for the mezz deck and proof that the floor can take the loadings or new foundation design & cacls as well as fire plans before you build anything.

The fire regs in AD B can be very convoluted and you have to keep going backwards and forwards through them, following different tables and references.

In terms of fire, perhaps the best course is to submit your application and see what requirements BC come up with, rather than trying to second-guess what they might want. Then check their points in the approved document if you feel any are unduly onerous.

Some fire regs are open to interpretation and different officers can sometimes come up with different requirements for similar situations.

Thanks Tony, that matches my, albeit, brief experience with it too!

Been spending the last hour or so reading the Building Regulations on the OPSI site and more perusing of the planning portal.
BR Part 3(12) states that if the Regulatory Reform Order (Fire safety) applies to the building then full plans must be submitted. Thanks for the pointers regarding that luisdesign and freddymercurystwin.
Sorry - you know that already of course, just letting you know I've learnt something!

I'll take some time to go slowly over the approved documents A & B and look at some of the others that appear relevant, but I'd appreciate any tips you have, particularly if you've come across similar situations.

Thanks again for your info so far - very helpful. I'll get back in touch with Building Control too and will probably use them for the approval, the guy at our office seemed genuinely helpful. Better get the drawing board and slide rule out . . .

I've recently completed a project in a warehouse unit converting it into a healthcare premises. I mention it because it also included a new mezzanine floor (though that was a new one so we were given all the necessary calculations).

Maybe you can get original documentation from the person you bought the mezzanine from, or failing that you may be able to find out the company that originally supplied it to them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back