New stud wall to mezzanine floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build a stud wall on top of a recently installed mezzanine floor in my small factory.

The wall will be L shaped. The stud wall will be fixed to the mezz floor (38mm chipboard flooring), at each end of the 'L' to a concrete block wall, but I am concerned about fixing to the ceiling/roof. The roof is insulated panels pre-formed onto the steel cladding of the industrial unit - I can't imaging there's much strength/fixing possibilities in the foam. The stud wall will be 6m x 5m and 2.5m high.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
You also run the risk of fixing through the foam and making a hole in the roof, wouldn't bother meself.
A large triangle of 18mm ply fixed into the top of the wall will work wonders, use a full 8x4 sheet, and cut a 45 degree angle in from either end.

The wall will end up sitting slightly lower than the foam roof, but you can always scribe the plasterboard flush with the top of the foam if the gap is an issue.

Thanks Deluks.

I agree about the holes in roof issue.

Just so I get this right.....the triangle piece of ply would effectively be a bracket/brace at the right angle in the top corner of the 'L' shape? And you are suggesting not fixing the framework to the ceiling at all - let it all be self supporting and strengthen with the ply corner brace.

What is the normal size timbers I should use for the framework? Would you suggest 'beefing' these up to allow for lack of ceiling fixings.

WG

Sponsored Links
Yes you have it, the ply triangle will be horizontal, above your head were you standing in the corner.

Not sure about the size, beefier timbers mean more weight. I'd stick with standard 4x2 reg. Will there be any space either side of the wall for diagonal bracing, or would they intrude into the space as it's being used?

You could friction fit the top of the wall to the ceiling using folding wedges, maybe applying some glue before tapping them tight. The wall will need supporting vertically by a couple of chaps while you do this, otherwise the tapping could push the wall out of plumb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back