Stud wall meets new floor detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm converting a basement into living space. I have built first couple of stud partitions from 3x2 timber on to existing concrete floor which has DPM beneath.

Q1. What is the detailing where the studwork meets a new floor constructed of 3x2 timber on edge, secured to the concrete floor?

Q2 How far down the wall does the plasterboard go, bearing in mind I will finish with skirting?

Q3 What is the detailing where studwork meets a ceiling made from 2x1 cross battens?

Q4 How far up the wall does plasterboard go?

Q5 What is the detailing where 2 studs meet at right angles? Do you leave a gap to allow plasterboard to pass or do I insert an extra upright in the stud to screw plasterboard to?

Sponsored Links
Hope I understand parts of your questions right.

Q1. What is the detailing where the studwork meets a new floor constructed of 3x2 timber on edge, secured to the concrete floor?

I take it your floor is concrete with 3x2 on edge then some sort of flooring material on top of this? If it is, I'd suggest you put the flooring material down and fix the stud partition to this.

Q2 How far down the wall does the plasterboard go, bearing in mind I will finish with skirting?
Most plasterers would use a strip of plasterboard to pack the plasterboard off the floor, so that's 12.5mm.

Q3 What is the detailing where studwork meets a ceiling made from 2x1 cross battens?
If the studwork is running at 90deg to the cross battens then just fix through with screws or nails to the battens. If it's running parallel, then nog out the cross battens and fix the studwork to the noggins.

Q4 How far up the wall does plasterboard go?
The ceiling should be plasterboarded after the studwork is put in, then the studwork plasterboarded right up to the ceiling.

Q5 What is the detailing where 2 studs meet at right angles? Do you leave a gap to allow plasterboard to pass or do I insert an extra upright in the stud to screw plasterboard to?
Either or mate. I usually go for the extra uprights myself.

Thanks for the reply. I've already got the studs in place.

Q1 My main concern is having enough fixings for the bottom of the plasterboard. Studs are 400mm centres. 12.5mm Plasterboard will be flying above sole plate. Will these fixings be sufficient OR should I fix noggins?

Q2 I'll leave 12.mm on the noggins above?

Q3 & 4 Cross battening of ceiling will go in after stud walls. Again Plasterboard will be flying below top plate. I think I should nog out the top of the stud to have sufficient fixings for plasterboard?

Q5 Gotcha.

What a coincidence, my first post on DIYnot and its answered by a Derby lad - I'm originally from Alvaston!

Your plasterboard as well as being fixed to the studs, can also be fixed to the sole and head plates in between the studs. Depending on the height of the studwork, you should have some noggins around halfway up the studs.

A further response to Q5. Where two studs meet, it's possible with a bit of forward planning to have the first stud work fixed and plasterboarded (at least on the side you intend to fix the other stud work to), before making and fixing the adjoining stud. I personally would make sure that there's a stud directly behind where the second stud is going to be fixed if doing it that way.

Sponsored Links
A floating floor on top of dpm would have been advisable with stud work fixed to it so as not to breech the dpm. Dpm should also run up behind the walls if it has not been tanked given Irelands rainfall.

The stud walls are already in. But I could look at floating 2 floors to save drilling the existing floor and risk puncturing the DPM.

I'm laying 70mm Kingspan Thermafloor with T&G chipboard on top. How would I lay these as a floating floor? I've already layed 2x3 around the edges which I can stitch to the sole plates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back