No stud where I want a stud/partition wall to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a stud wall to partition my open plan living room into a living room & hallway. The floor is concrete so I can fix the bottom plate to that and the ceiling joists are running opposite to the new wall so I can also fix the top plate to the joists.

On the existing wall, there is no stud where I want the new partition to butt up against. Are the top and bottom fixings enough support or do I need to rip open the existing wall and add a stud to fix the new wall to?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Simple incision into the existing plasterboard about 75mm wide then insert timber narrow edge out and fix to upper and lower plate then you can fix first new wall timber side on to that .Should be invisible as you new wall will be wider than cut out.

You only need the sole and head plate to be secure and that along with the boards gives the wall its rigidity. Then you only need to add a couple of screw and plug fixings or some panel adhesive to the end stud.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back