stud wall ..??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a stud wall on 4x2 timber in an upstairs bedroom to house an onsuite. This stud wall runs paralell to the joist below (6x6) , but there is not a floor at the moment. So my wall plate is on top of the joists .
I wonder whether the wall plate should go on top of the floor?
Can I fix my wall plate to the joist without the need of the floor between joist and wall plate ?.
thanks,
j

Sponsored Links
It's usual for joists to be doubled up where stud walls are being placed above them. In your case, I think I'd put the flooring down before erecting the stud wall. If you do fix the stud to the joist, you'll have to run some timber either side of the joist to support the flooring that's going in after.

Sponsored Links
First, its a sole plate not a wall plate

The stud wall would be better off built off the floor deck as then the deck adds to the load sharing of the floor as a whole

By building straight off the joists, you risk the joist settling or moving seasonally, and pulling the stud wall with it, and so cracking the perimeter plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back