Attaching Joists to an existing masonry wall - Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am almost ready to install the first floor joists in my extension, and I need some advice on how to attach the joists to the existing wall.

The extension comes straight out from the end of my house. The joists run between what used to be the gable end wall, and the new gable end.
My Building Control Officer suggested that I use a wall plate at the existing wall, and that I build the joists in at the new wall……… I am not sure if ‘Wall plate’ is the correct terminology – He called it a wall plate, but what he described was a piece of wood fixed to the wall, that the joists were then attached to

The joist span is 3.00m, and I am going to use C16 44mm x 220mm joists @ 450mm spacing.
(Joist size is based on Trada Span Tables)

My question is, how do I do the ‘wall plate’? Does the following suggestion make sense?

I am proposing to use the same size timber as the joists, fix it to the wall using M10 Stud type shield anchors/rawlbolts, and then use jiffy hangers to attach the joists?
For fixings, I am proposing that they are on the same spacing as the joists, but positioned centrally between the joists.

I am going to get the Building COntrol Officer to come back round, but like usual, I want to have a my solution 90% straight in my head, before discussing it with him.

Sponsored Links
I am proposing to use the same size timber as the joists, fix it to the wall using M10 Stud type shield anchors/rawlbolts, and then use jiffy hangers to attach the joists?
For fixings, I am proposing that they are on the same spacing as the joists, but positioned centrally between the joists.

I am going to get the Building COntrol Officer to come back round, but like usual, I want to have a my solution 90% straight in my head, before discussing it with him.

sounds OK, use M12's though.

Just googled this: (from here )

ledger-board-to-solid-masonry-3d.jpg

Thanks Deluks

OK, so double up on the fixings and go for M12's rather than M10's .......................... and now I know that the correct terminology in 'Ledger Board'.

Sponsored Links
Don't neccesarily have to double like that, can run them straight down the middle, one for each joist should be enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back