Stud wall with no head plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I've had some experience with building stud walls but always from floor to ceiling. I want to put up a stud wall that doesn't go to the ceiling, the resulting space will be used for wardrobes space.

The wall will be fixed to an existing masonry wall and the span will be fixed to masonry at one end and another stud on the other. Their won't be much load bearing, mainly need the strength at the top for the wardrobe telescopic arms to be fixed to.

How do I go about fixing the frame? Build the frame and then fix to the floor and wall? Fix sole plate first and first stud to the wall and last to plate, fix head plate and then fit studs between?

Sponsored Links
Get the top plate in first - well fixed, straight and level. Drop plumb-lines down to the floor (and mark the line) to make sure foot plate runs to match the top - it's easier than doing the head plate after the foorplate!

Screw the two verticals at each end of the run to the wall and head plate for further rigidity, and away you go on the other verticals to distances as you see fit (Id be inclined to wedge a couple in the middle to make sure the top timber doesn't bow up or down as you fix the verticals in.

Thanks dextrous but in this case the wall doesn't have a top plate. The (starting) wall won't come up to the height of the ceiling and I won't have a top plate to fix to which is where I'm confused how to fix in that case.

Are you sure it wont have a top plate?

(is that what the top is called?)
Or it will have one except it wont be on the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Thanks dextrous but in this case the wall doesn't have a top plate. The (starting) wall won't come up to the height of the ceiling and I won't have a top plate to fix to which is where I'm confused how to fix in that case.

That's the one I'm referring to - the horizontal ("head") timber at your desired height - fix to the walls with L brackets first. Then refer to my previous instructions - the two end wall plates screwed to the wall and to the top (head) "suspended" plate will give it added strength.

That's the one I'm referring to - the horizontal ("head") timber at your desired height - fix to the walls with L brackets first. Then refer to my previous instructions - the two end wall plates screwed to the wall and to the top (head) "suspended" plate will give it added strength.
Thanks. I'm still a bit confused sorry but I don't think I explained so well that the (half height) wall still needs a head plate fixing at which one end is standing 'free' - that is the wall that will be on one side of the opening that I don't have anything to fix to.

So, to clarify, one end will be fixed to a wall. The other end does not reach all the way across the room - I'm guessing a bed or a doorway is at this end?

Yup, will be just a passageway (no door). Currently it's just and end of a wardrobe which I want to replace with a stud wall that doesn't go to ceiling. It's not load bearing as such, just needs some strength across the span to fix the friction poles to.

In that case, I'd be inclined to fix one wall plate (on which to rest your head beam to measure off) - most likely for the short wall first, then use a spirit level to keep this level while marking off the length of the corner vertical piece.

Assuming you're using CLS timbers (63 by 36mm) since they're pleasant to work with, get this end wall up. screw another piece at right angles to this (looking at the cross section, it'll look like an L), and measure the length of the head plate from this. Rest the head plate on this whilst you mark the place for drilling the bracket to the solid wall, then fix head plate and away you go. Remember to keep checking horizontals and verticals with a spirit level. The reason why it's wiser not to build the frame first and put into place is that' by s o d' s law, either the walls or the floor will not be perfectly level and true, and will thwart your best efforts and perfectly made frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back