Stud wall without Head plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wanting to stud out a warehouse, but only to a height of about 8ft and not the 5m of height available. To do this I wont have a head plate.

Is this possible without it been wobbly? I am planning on a L shape stud so it will be secured to two walls and the floor.

questions.

1.What size timber should i use
2. What fixings should I use to fix the stud to the concrete block wall
3. What fixings should I use to fix the stud to the concrete floor
4. How would you you fit an appropriate ceiling? just use stud work or joists type system

Thanks in advance
Andy

Sponsored Links
How wobbly does depend on sizes. How big., please?

1.What size timber should i use
4 x 2in CLS out of preference although 3 x 2 CLS will do the job at 400mm centres if possible, or 600mm if not (this assumes that you'll be cladding with 2400 x 1200mm/ other metric sized PB). I prefer screwed (#10 x 3-1/2in or 4in) to nailed framing as it is more rigid and the nailer can knock frames out of square. Remember to add 1/2in (12mm) plywood pattress (or whole wall cladding) before plaster boarding if the wall needs to support any heavy loads like radiators or extra security is required (this will also add considerably to rigidity) and to put a membrane DPM on the floor below the frame and a couple of feet up the walls. The corner can also be braced with a diagonal lath or stud (on top) to make the structure more rigid - although a ceiling structure clad with sheet materials will achieve the same result. Consider adding insulation inside the walls and above the ceiling. If this is for use as an office I strongly advise you to install a floor frame of 2 x 2in softwood (again resting on a DPM) clad with 19mm T&G chipboard or similar - concrete warehouse floors are really cold in winter!

2. What fixings should I use to fix the stud to the concrete block wall
#10 x 4in screws into brown plugs
3. What fixings should I use to fix the stud to the concrete floor
Ditto the above
4. How would you you fit an appropriate ceiling? just use stud work or joists type system
What is the span? What loads do you expect to carry? Will the top ever be used for storage?

Size would be one stud of around 4m joined to a stud of around 2m, within this is a small toilet area. so the ceiling wouldn't be 8m2

I wont store anything of any weight on the ceiling, just maybe coffee and packaging.

In the studs what height would i put the perlins? would i even need any for this purpose?

thanks for your other advice, really helpful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back