Cutting in to partition wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I've come across this forum loads over the years whilst looking up certain bits and pieces - finally decided to join!

I've got a question regarding the stud walls in my new (2012) build house.

I'm pretty able at most things - what I want to do is this.

I have a large partition wall in the bedroom, approx. 2m wide, the other side of the wall is the bathroom. I want to cut a hole in to the plasterboard on the bedroom side revealing the hollow between both sides of the wall, fill the sides of the hole in using batons, then plaster and put my flat screen TV into the new alcove.

What about the studs and noggins in the stud wall? Well there don't appear to be any! I've ran a stud detector across the partition wall and it doesn't pick anything up apart from one long horizontal stud approximately half way up the wall (the stud is the same height as the light switch - could this be cable and not a stud?) - this doesn't seem right to me - is it possible that there aren't any - if this is the case Is there any reason I shouldn't do what I'm considering...? All partition walls in the house appear to be the same.

I don't really want to cut a whopping hole in the wall and then change my mind because there's something I've not considered that makes it difficult...

Any suggestions will be warmly received.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like ye have a Paramount partition wall there. No studs in it whatsoever, just a cardboard infill (a bit like those eggshell doors from B&Q) . If this is the case, there's not much you can do. Stand the TV on a dresser or table. ;)

oh cr*p!

I already have my TV on the wall, mounted on a bracket with beefy plasterboard fixings - however, my next job was to run the cables within the plasterboard cavity - I guess I can't do that either now... :(

Sponsored Links
A small investigatory hole could easily be refilled.
Current practice would not allow just a single layer of plasterboard between rooms but its your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back