Cutting a door in 35mm Stud Paritioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

My house has a number of partition walls that are made using what i think is 35mm stud's and noggins ( probably in the form of a pre-built partitions) in this 1970's terrace house.

I'm looking to cut a door in one of these walls, but don't know what to use as a door liner? Looking at the other doors in the walls they have cut the wall from floor to ceiling and run a piece of 50mm stud down the cut out, built it out with architrave and hung the door off that and put a piece of glass in above to fill the gap.

Are there any better ways of doing this?

Equally, i need to replace some of the studwork elsewhere in the house due to water ingress. I understand that 35mm is definately not normal. Do i need to be aware of anything with 35mm stud?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
35mm? Seems very thin.

Paramount partition walling finished at around 60mm, as did Stramit walling. Neither are actually stud frames but purpose made panels that slot together between a header rail and a sole rail.

The partitions would be fitted with ready-made moulded door linings that are a one piece construction - i.e. the architrave and the liner are not separate elements.

It it possible to fix your own but it will require some amount of fabrication and a bit of machining.

You probably do have Paramount partitions which as said above are 60mm finish, 12.5PB, 35 core, 12.5PB) what you are looking at is the 35mm timber that is run as a sole & head plate and also slotted in between the boards at joints.

If you go to a decent timber merchants they will probably be able to machine down the nex size up at a small cost.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back