Creaking Metal C Stud Partition Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a 15 year old house which has been built using tongue and groove chipboard flooring and metal C stud partition walls. At the back of the house, between our little ones nursery and my office is a partition wall, unfortunately when walking in either room this wall creaks really bad.

I first thought it was going to be the floorboards themselves, but found them to actually be fully glued down and sturdy. Upon further investigation the noise is actually coming from the partition wall, I'm assuming it's the metal C stud which runs horizontally across the chipboard which has been screwed down using plasterboard screws.

I've replaced those plasterboard screws with Spax flooring screws and pushed shims between the flooring and the stud to try and stop any noise. It seemed to work for all of a few days and the creaking is back with vengeance.

Any ideas on what I can do for a more permanent fix? We put the little one to sleep and he wakes up because of the creaking!

Sponsored Links
Polypheme or rubber DPC strip or suchlike between the floor and frame as a barrier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back