End of chisel broken inside Makita drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happily chiseling off some tiles with my Makita 2kg SDS drill when the chisel dropped to the floor. Leaving part of the chisel inside the drill.

Any idea how I get the offending metal out of the drill?

Normally to release a chisel/drill bit you pull back on the front of the drill and then gently pull the item out.

The trouble is, I cannot get to the small piece of metal inside the chuck and shaking the drill while pulling on the release mechanism doesnt work either.

Anyone else had this problem before?

Sponsored Links
i would try somthing like drilling a 4mm hole at a slight angle into the broken bit then insert a no8 or 3.5mm metric screw

Is it a 3 mode?

Try holding the collar back and running it. It may manage to shake ist self out :idea:

Buy a telescopic magnet from an auto tool place and shove it down the chuck

Sponsored Links
can you flip the end of the drill off?
like you would if you had to replace the end/bit holding mech.

i did it this way but i cant remember if it was on my bosch or makita.

I've removed the top of the drill and can get better access to the broken bit end.

It's wedged in there really well. If I had a bench drill I might be able to make a small hole in it and then try to drag it out.

It's a great little worker, so I'm keen to get it up and running.

I've removed the top of the drill and can get better access to the broken bit end.

It's wedged in there really well. If I had a bench drill I might be able to make a small hole in it and then try to drag it out.

It's a great little worker, so I'm keen to get it up and running.

Get some chemical weld (jbweld), get an old drill bit or similiar and put some on the shank (correct mix is vital..see instructions).
Seat the bit on the broken stub and leave it for 24 hours in a temporary jig to ensure you get a decent join and weld position. Leave it in a warmish room inside the house...not in a cold garage (been there done that!)

24 hours minimum later.....pull and pray :D

You could try superglue instead of the jbweld...I have my doubts the jbweld will get sufficient grip on the broken piece so superglue might be more effective....or sticks like sh*t

Try them all :LOL:

At the end of the day it only needs to hold for one successful 'pull'

Failing that, take it to your local Mikata authorised power tool repair shop.
if push comes to shove they can replace the main sds chuck component

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back