Enfield garage door bolts ( or similar)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Id like to fit some enfield garage door bolts for a bit of added security.

The garage door is a retractable wooden up and over type.
The problem i can see with fitting the door bolts is that the canopy arms and springs would obstruct the bolts going through to the frame in order to lock the door in the closed position.

Just wondering if these locks can be mounted vertically and if anyones done this?

i.e instead of the locks being fitted to the sides of the door with the bolts going through the frame.
Id mount the locks either at the top or bottom of the door so that the door bolt shoots into a hole in the floor or something above the door depending on if i wanted to fit the locks at the top or bottom of the door

Sponsored Links
They have a good long throw.

I use a bolt in the centre of the top and bottom, going into the frame and the concrete floor. On my up and over, the manufacturer's mechanism locks into the sides, so this gives me 4-point locking.

If you are known to have anything valuable in the garage, a 4x4 reversed into the door will crumple it, if metal, or cave it in, or the door can be pulled off with a towrope. Some sort of beam bolted to the door and bolted at the sides may delay such a break-in by a minute or two, and make it noisier.

Garage doors are, sadly, rather insecure.

Thanks john.

Did you fit the steel receiver keeps for the door bolts to side into?

If so how did you fit it into the concrete floor?

Im thinking i could pre drill the hole so it is and interference fit and Hammer the keep in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back