Engine cut out when car stopped.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question to those more knowledgeable than me.

On many modern cars, the engine seems to cut out when the car is stationary, eg at traffic lights. Presumably depressing the accelerator starts it up again?

So it must be an economy device?

But surely this must wear out the starter motor sooner? If so, what would be the environmental costs of manufacturing and fitting more starter motors to replace those prematurely worn out?

Sponsored Links
I think I'd be more concerned about flattening the battery, especially in cold weather.

The first thing I do when I jump into mine is to switch that facility off (they can all do this).
Apparently the batteries for these vehicles are particularly heavy duty, as is the starter motor.....that bit, I don't know about.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Its a form of an entry level hybrid vehicle (known as a mild hybrid) for those manufacturers that want something to fill that market and still use the same basic engine design/layout. The Toyota Prius would be known as a full hybrid. Full electric for city driving, petrol/diesel for the motorway. Toyota was the first mainstream, but now VW/Audi have taken the technology to new levels ........
With mild hybrids its all (well mostly) bolt on technology, heavy duty starter/alternator some now combine the two into one unit, bit of software in a few of the now many controllers (ECU's) dotted around the car and he-presto you have a low emissions vehicle. Extra capacity battery etc, etc ..........
Seemingly in the city cycle most of the emissions are when the car has stopped and idling, so if you cut that bit out, you cut overall emissions especially in the cities.
It will come to a point where you will be required to have, something on the vehicle to reduce emissions or pay a surcharge to enter the larger cities, already in place for the trucks.

Seemingly in the city cycle most of the emissions are when the car has stopped and idling, so if you cut that bit out, you cut overall emissions especially in the cities.

Perhaps a better way would be to improve our road infrastructure. :eek:

It will come to a point where you will be required to have, something on the vehicle to reduce emissions or pay a surcharge to enter the larger cities, already in place for the trucks.

I thought there already was a surcharge for entering the middle of London!

I said in another thread I had a little Skoda on loan with this "feature" I didn't like it. Kept going for the key every time it "stalled"! Still I didn't drive it much I suppose you get used to it.
Can see it being a PIA down the line somewhere, when the battery is getting tired on a cold morning etc.
To me it's all more fiddling around the edges to make things seem "greener" than they actually are.

Well the guys designing the cars have no control on road infrastructure and yes London has emission charges, I had forgot about that.
Manufacturers don't worry to much about the reliability of their cars at 6, 7 or 8 years old, I'm afraid. They need to sell new units in ever increasing numbers, that's the name of the game.

Thanks to all for the comments on this.

Makes me wonder if the emissions saved by stopping the engine at lights compensates for the additional emissions through lugging around heavier batteries and starter motors?

So what happens if you sit in a side road waiting to turn right into a main road and the engine cuts out.
I have had three petrol Passats and have moved to a diesel one. On my standard 300 miles journey up the M1, petrol did 33.8 MPG, diesel does 42.6. But the diesel is gutless at low revs, not as pleasant to drive, you can't tootle along at 40 MPH in top gear (six speed box). But the MPG puts a smile on my face.
Frank

Only does it in netural with the clutch up?

Stop start won't activate if the engine is cold, battery is low or any other high power loads are switched on. (Heated rear window)

Stop start isn't new technology. The MK1 Cavalier I had almost 30 years ago would cut out every time I came to a stop. :(

I turned this function off by fiddling with the carb, but this did nothing for my green credentials.

I remember that one well enough......that was due to the electric auto choke pull down.......you either had a 1500 rpm tick over or none at all :p I developed a modification for this - should have made me rich!
Nice car otherwise!
John :)

Yes, I think it was something along those lines, though my memory is a little hazy after all these years. Not bad cars, I preferred them to Cortinas that were more popular at the time. Soon traded up to a MK1 Carlton (original chrome bumper). That was my favourite car I've ever owned. Roomy, straightforward mechanics, nice drive and tough as old boots. Kept her for 11 years until got too rusty to be economically repaired. Would still have it now if it hadn't rotted.

Sponsored Links
Back