Engine emissions

S

SammyInnit

I'm looking for a motor and I've been put on to Jeep Grand Cherokees by old man. He's got an Overland with the 2.7 mercedes straight 5 which is really nice. Road tax is I think around £240 for the year.

Looking for something a bit newer I fancy the Overland with the 3l V6 mercedes but the tax is a whopping £535 a year!

However, the newer models (2011-) have the same 3l V6 CRD but the tax is back at the £250 bracket.

I wondered, seeing as it's basically the same engine, is there anything that could be done to get the emissions down and have the VED re-calculated?

The other motor I was looking at was a Citroen C5 2.7v6 (JLR/PSA engine) and that's about £230 a year. I know they're two completely different motors but it's a bit of comfort and power I want, believe it or not the C5 is a really nice drive.

Never been one for French motors but my Mrs and her family are all Citroen. She still daily drivers a 2CV - 602cc

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I don't think you would get very far here - there are so many sensors fitted to exhausts these days and they all have to refer back to the engine management ECU so the fuelling, regeneration and additive systems can be activated accordingly. Even Adblue has to be pre heated before its injection into the exhaust system, and even then at a pre set exhaust temperature.
Best look for a vehicle that is designated Euro 6, I'd say and the Citroen should be pretty close but I can't comment on the Jeep.
John :)

I thought that might be the case but I did wonder. I don't have the budget for the euro 6 motors really and they seem a lot of car for what they're going for at around the 2010-60k miles range over the C5. The tax is a big off put. That said 21mpg (on paper) isn't much more of an attraction but I'm fed up of my 1.6 focus having lacklustre power.

I loved my C5 . With the diesel V6 and Exclusive spec , it must be a fantastic car.

Sponsored Links
I loved my C5 . With the diesel V6 and Exclusive spec , it must be a fantastic car.

That's what I've been looking at. They're a bit of a rare number now. Also like the C6 but even harder to find for the right money. I think a lot of Citroen enthusiasts are willing to pay top dollar for a good straight C6. Lovely looking motors.

Drove my in laws C5 estate with the 3l V6 petrol, hydraulic suspension. It was like silk sheets.

I'm afraid you're never going to get the car re-rated, so don't even waste time going there. The London emissions zone will soon stretch to other cities, and the Government will soon join the game, and price pre Euro 6 engines out of the game, so if you can't afford one now, then maybe get a cheap motor for a couple of years until you can.

I'm afraid you're never going to get the car re-rated, so don't even waste time going there. The London emissions zone will soon stretch to other cities, and the Government will soon join the game, and price pre Euro 6 engines out of the game, so if you can't afford one now, then maybe get a cheap motor for a couple of years until you can.

It's only going to be a weekend drive. Got a transit and focus for commuting.

I suspect the government of the day will start upping the vehicle tax rate on older cars to persuade people to get rid of them (and raise revenue of course), and what is now £250, will eventually end up at £400. Brown tried it, and backtracked, but next time, they'll stick to their guns.

I suspect the government of the day will start upping the vehicle tax rate on older cars to persuade people to get rid of them (and raise revenue of course), and what is now £250, will eventually end up at £400. Brown tried it, and backtracked, but next time, they'll stick to their guns.

I personally think the current VED system is all to cock anyway. I said it when they introduced tax free VED bands for low emissions and electric motors. If they were all in that band the government wouldn't get a penny so of course it would eventually be taxed.

I think a better method would be to scrap VED and put it on the pump price. Use more fuel pay more VED.

Nice points Sammy, they realised that so many people were swapping over to low emission cars, and they were losing revenue. Now, you buy a £40k car, and you have to pay an additional £340 per annum for 5 years because they feel you're rich enough to be able to. There's a lot to be said for putting it on fuel prices, then foreign lorries would pay something (except they fill up in Calais) but we'd complain at the higher fuel costs. The adjustable VED rates are a bit of a sledge hammer approach to persuade people to buy lower emitting cars, and isn't really justifiable when they then change them once again.

they seem a lot of car for what they're going for QUOTE]

'A lot of car for the money' must be the most over-used & misleading phrase ever invented by the motor trade. How many punters have fallen for such sales talk & purchased a used luxury car for peanuts, only to have their world come crashing down when something goes wrong ?

I used the phrase to describe two motors how I see them based on market value. Don't know what this motor trade guff is you're talking off. I'm just looking to buy one of two very different cars for very similar money.

Not sure how you mean by world crashing down either. You buy a 6 grand car, you get a 6 grand car. If I wanted a new one I'd buy a new one.

Even a good 2l Diesel will have a lot more grunt than your 1.6 Focus.

Our Mk2 Kuga Powershift 2l Diesel is £240 tax iirc and plenty of torque. (No bother pulling our 1550kg caravan).

Sponsored Links
Back