Engineered flooring - subfloor questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a hallway which is half cement/screed subfloor and half parquet blocks (is level all the way through, across the two types). Currently carpeted. I want to get rid of the carpet and lay a 15mm engineered oak through the hallway, and am not sure how to fix the engineered floor down.

Do i rip up the parquet and the use 2 inches of screed to bring the height of the floor back up level with the rest of the existing screeded area?

Or is it OK to lay the engineered floor over two very different subfloor types?

Can a engineered floor be half floating (my preferred option) and half secret nailed? (as I assume you cant float the boards over the parquet blocks (I was going to use elastilon - any good?).

I've never laid a floor before - am pretty sure I can do it though. Just want to give it the best shot i can!

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
You can float a wood-engineered floor over parquet as long as you use the proper underlayment, one without DPM.
On the other hand, on concrete you'll use an underlayment with DPM.

Elastilon is a good product and comes without a DPM, so lay a DPM sheet over the concrete first

Thanks for the reply.

Thats pretty much what i'm now thinking, so good to get it backed up.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would follow up what the previous person said, the only other consideration is if any of the parquet blocks come loose in the future could cause problems and you will need to get under the floor to replace, so also conside removing parquet and screeding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back