Engineered wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice - I'm looking to have an engineered wood floor laid in our new extension and I've got 2 recommended companies quoting for it.
One is suggesting glueing the floor down and the other is suggesting floating it on an underlay.

The extension is new with a traditional screed floor, approx 70mm thick, this was done around 2 months ago and i'm in no rush to have the floor laid, so it can dry out more if needed.

What are the pros and cons of both options? and what would you opt for?

Ta

John

Sponsored Links
DON'T glue the floor. The floor will expand and contract and needs to be allowed to do this. gluing it attempts to keep the floor static.

The floor should always be floated so it is allowed to move and expand as it may.

Engineered boards can be glued down (and solid but it is less recomended), the floor glues are elastic and allow for some movement, as well as engineered boards having small amounts of movement.

This assumes extra movement won't be caused by a wet screed, or unusual conditions (rooms extra dry/wet or mopping water over the floor).

Floating is more idiot proof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back