Engineers Code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When installing a non-maintained alarm system to a customer's order, does the installing firm have any authority to change the engineer code to their own (secret) setting from the manufacturer's default or without authority from the customer?
I am a bit peeved to find that I will now need to default and fully reprogram.

Sponsored Links
When installing a non-maintained alarm system to a customer's order, does the installing firm have any authority to change the engineer code to their own (secret) setting from the manufacturer's default or without authority from the customer?
I am a bit peeved to find that I will now need to default and fully reprogram.
'Authority', don't know.

Common sense, definitely.

System installed.
Tested and proved working satisfactorily to the owners satisfaction. Signature.
Two weeks later the 'owner' decides that he will have a go at changing a couple of things around, after all he has the engineer code.
Six months later there is a burglary, alarm does not activate.
Not happy.
Calls the installing company.
They attend and find that a detector had been programmed out of the system about 6 months ago. ( System Log ) & also it did not work when walk tested.
Owner jumps up/down blaming the alarm company.
Alarm company hands over a copy of the completed 'Job sheet' or what ever you want to call it to show that the system was fully working on Hand Over 6/7months ago.
--- Wife says ' I told you not to play with it '
'nuf said.

Get the idea? That's why the engineer codes are always changed.

Fair enough.
I had not seen it from that viewpoint

..... as an afterthought, to put your (and others) mind at rest.

The engineer code is unable to turn off an alarm that has been turned on by a user code

They are all designed that way.

Sponsored Links
As above, and its got a guarantee.
You mess with it we find out you pay for any repairs alterations.

Again AN ENGINEER CODE CANNOT UNSET A ARMED SYSTEM

apart from a scantronic panel made for a major wholesaler in the late eighties/ early nineties, not saying model number lol

How nice of you to remind us of an error made in the past.
They are virtually all gone now I believe.

Only one you ever got to grips with was it not ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back