Enlarging access into loft - easy, or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'm an amateur but pretty competent DIYer.

For some crazy, unknown reason, the access to my loft on my landing is big enough to fit your head through ... but that's it. You can't get up there in person.
(No I am not a massive fat bloater ;) )

My question is, how easy would it be to enlarge the access myself? What would I need to do, and would I need any equipment I'm not likely to have? I have the basics (including jigsaw etc.).

Sponsored Links
Is the hatch in a safe, accessible location? (How old is the property?) If not, board it over and cut a new one in a more convenient place.

Allowing for cables and any plumbing, you will have to cut back the joisting and frame up a new carcass - light section joisting will have to be upped to heavier sections, and perhaps run to sit on any nearby bearing wall(s).

google up pre-made loft hatches and their dimensions, and see what suits you - you actually would be best off buying a ready made off the shelf.

During this work: run a permanent light up to the loft (fluorescent?), neon, cord switched from below.

Screw everything - no hammering. Work off a platform if possible, or a 10 or 12 step step-ladder.

Basic eqpt. only requiredd, very DIY'able.

So, I'm an amateur but pretty competent DIYer.

For some crazy, unknown reason, the access to my loft on my landing is big enough to fit your head through ... but that's it. You can't get up there in person.
(No I am not a massive fat bloater ;) )

My question is, how easy would it be to enlarge the access myself? What would I need to do, and would I need any equipment I'm not likely to have? I have the basics (including jigsaw etc.).

I've done this, but a diagram of your existing joists and loft hatch would be useful. Depending on which way your joists run, and whether you want to increase the size in both directions, you may need to add trimmers to replace the strength lost by cutting out sections of joist.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back