Enlarging fireplace / Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm removing a redundant 1970's monstrosity of a gas fireplace and intend to replace it with a more period looking coal fireplace.

I don't have intention of actually ever using this fireplace, it's purely for aesthetic reasons.

The issue I have is the cast fireback will not fit into the current opening in my chimney, one course of bricks needs to be removed.

Currently the "Lintel" appears to be a bit of pine cladding, though I suspect/hope there is probably something further up the wall hidden behind the plaster. My thoughts were to knock the bricks one course above the course I want to remove out and slot a concrete lintel into the wall. then remove the bricks underneath once supported.

I've i'm way off the mark let me know.

Sponsored Links
You really need to support the brickwork on acros then remove the brickwork down to where you want to put the new lintel in then rebuild then you can remove the acro and brick work below the new lintel.

Hi V8; if you haven’t already done so, have a read of this current thread;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=227511
It will give you some good pointers about fire openings (& other openings for that matter), how they are constructed, types of lintels fitted & how chimney breast or even quiet large holes in a structure can be self supporting unless everything’s loose & in a bad way. You’re very unlikely to need acrows or any propping at all but I know you have some experience so assessment & caution is the way to go. ;)

Sponsored Links
Oldun - All the plaster is blown in the room (under the embossed paper) so will all need to be removed, I guess that will give me a good idea as to what is occuring.

RIchard C - Cheers for the info, just doing a bit of research at the moment, will probably be looking to do it in a few weeks time, I guess it will become more apparent when I do the above, the opening is about two foot, whats the worst that can happen? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back