Fireplace lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been ripping various bits off my house and revealed a fireplace in a fireplace :) The more recent bricks have a metal lintel below them but the original soldier course do not seem to have anything below them, other than the new cement and bricks.

I would like to take out the new bricks back to the old ones. Will I need a lintel below the bricks or will the soldier course do this work?

Pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20200409_185927008.jpg
    IMG_20200409_185927008.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Knock off more plaster to reveal the full width and bearings of the original arch. Then please post a pic of what you've done?
If the original arch is well supported then you can easily remove the newer front fireplace and any infill below the original arch.

Sponsored Links
Oh, even better! Here is a view across the fireplace.

Attachments

• IMG_20200410_100140774.jpg
    IMG_20200410_100140774.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 137
I removed the in fill fireplace and actually found the metal support that would have supported the arch whilst setting still in place. All looks much nicer now it's back to its original dimensions
Thanks for the help, wouldn't have had the confidence to do it without it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back