Ensuite remodel and drainage challenges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow with concrete floors. I'm gutting an existing ensuite and building a new one in the next bedroom; they are either side of a block wall.

The existing ensuite was adapted for a wheelchair user and I have exposed the shower drain to find it looks very much like a toilet waste as it is clay pipe 110mm. Testing the water flow shows it comes out in the sewer access down the same channel as the WC. The shower was occasionally smelly, but we put that down to the build up of crud on the special gratings over the shower.

This shower drain appears to be 'trapped' in some way as there is a bend just a short distance down with water in it.

I will need to dig out the floor to expose the pipes for the shower and wash basin and also to route through the drains for the new ensuite next door.

Can anyone advise me what sort of set up I am likely to reveal, what precautions I should take and the best way to install the new set up. I am thinking along the lines of tie-ins from the shower/bath/basins to the toilet soil pipe.

There is no vent stack, inside or out. The house was a barn conversion that was completely rebuilt - self-build. It was adapted for wheelchair access by the second owner so the special shower arrangement is a mod to what used to be there. I am making this a wet-room so the low drain is an advantage for the new shower arrangement.

All advice welcomed. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
door.

There is no vent stack, inside or out.
All advice welcomed. Thanks.
you`ll need one , not just an aav :idea:

I have only just come to realise the lack of the vent, I suppose that the absence of issues like siphoning, slow draining and gurgling diverted attention away. The house is in a rural location with only 3 other buildings feeding in to the sewers in a long stretch. I wonder how the builder got away with not having one if regs require such (built 1988).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back