Ensure off second room dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a problem that I'm hoping someone will help me solve. I've recently viewed a house and I would like to buy it but I have an issue with the ensuite not off the master bedroom, it's off the second bedroom - which would be my 3 year olds room as it's not big enough for me and my husband. I would like to know your thoughts/ideas on how we could remodel the upstairs so that the master bedroom has the ensuite instead.

Master bedroom 11''9"" x 10'8"
Bedroom 2 - 11'1" x 9'6"
Ensuite - 9'8" x 3'7"
Bedroom 3 - 9'6" x 8'5"
Bedroom 4 - 9' x 7'7"

I considered using the ensuite as the main bathroom but it it's wide enough.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you

Sponsored Links
Do you need 4 bedrooms? If you knocked bedroom 2 and bedroom 3 together, you'd have a biggish master bedroom with an ensuite ...

Cheers
Richard

Use the main bathroom as the ensuite and then make the old ensuite bigger by pinching a bit of space from bedroom 2 and then make it accesible from the hallway.

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately we do need 4 bedrooms, kids and study (husband works from home).

I considered using the ensuite as the main bathroom but I didn't think of pinching space from bed 2, an L shape room? Would that not look a little odd?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
could you amend your plan to show the location of bath/shower etc as depending on where they are in the rooms and how much space they take up will affect where doors can be knocked through.

Also do your other bedrooms need access to a bath, or just a shower and WC?

Put a pocket door in the 'en-suite' at the middle of the wall, directly opposite the window, which would have the sink directly below it. You'll then be able to fit the toilet on the left or right wall looking into the room. At the opposite end you'll be able to fit a shower the full width of the room. This would then be your master bathroom - which should be adequate for your children or guests.

The master is then converted to your en-suite. If you keep a bath in there then at least you still have bath-time with the kids once a week!

I think this would be the cheapest option and it means that the rooms stay the same and more importantly, the plumbing.

Thanks again for all replies.

Re:eek:wainDIYer

I cannot amend plans at the moment as I only have a photo on my iPad but I will when I have access to my laptop tomorrow. However, i will attempt to explain. In the current ensuite room, the sink is located directly under the window and the toilet is to the right of this (when facing window) the shower is further to the right in the corner.

In the current main bathroom, the bath is on the left, the sink in the middle and the toilet on the right (when facing the window).

I would prefer to have a bath in the main bathroom (for all to access) but only if possible and cost effective.

Re:Angelboy

Thank you, do you think it would devalue the house if the main bathroom did not have a bath? I'm unsure whether such a narrow bathroom room would look right as a main bathroom.

Thank you all

I think there are far more variables that can effect the value of a house.

To be honest, if you're looking for a quick flip then keep it as is - if you're looking to live in the house for a number of years then set the house up to how YOU want to live - you never know, it might appeal to the people you finally sell it to who might be in the same situation as you.

Some people prefer baths to showers - the argument would be that if the master bedroom has a bath (maybe with an overhead shower) then the decision makers (the parents - you!) of the household will get what they want - the rest of the rooms are filled with kids, who don't determine the value of a house by its bathing facilities.

If you're wanting a conventional 'look' to a master bathroom and you don't want to sacrifice bedroom space AND you also want an en-suite that MUST be off the largest bedroom in the house then I think you're asking an impossible fix with the layout you given unless you want to throw ££££ at it and start again - including changing the stairs. I'd think if you have that kind of money to throw at it then you have the kind of money to buy a different property with it set out how you want it.

What do you want to sacrifice or compromise on?

We'll be looking to stay in the house for approx 5 years so I think it's best to alter the layout a little.

Unfortunately we do not have have endless amounts of cash to throw at it but I would like a solution that doesn't look ridiculous once it's been amended.

I think pinching some space from room 2 would work, to incorporate a bath in ensuite (L shape bathroom) but not sure which would look better i.e. leaving layout as is just repositioning doors or adding a little space from adjoining bedroom 2. I'm finding it hard to imagine how it would look.

Thank you

One thing to consider about taking some room from bedroom 2 would be the distance between the current en-suite wall with the door and the window in the bedroom. It wouldn't look right to have the new 'pinched' space right up close to the window so bear that in mind if you're thinking of creating an l-shape.

The plan you've sent looks like it from a rightmove property - it might help to post the link so we can see the pictures of the rooms.

Additionally, that pinched space might not be wide enough to fit the bath and some walking space in front of the bath so you might only have enough room to see 1100mm of the bath then the remaining section (600-700mm) would be round the corner up - so that would be the tap end - which wouldn't be visible unless you were in the bath.......if you get what I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back