entrance door crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My entrance door develops a vertical crack in the middle, in the joint of the door boards. When we paint the door it looks OK for a year and then the crack is buck again from the vibration when we close it. What is the best way to repair it before I paint it again?
Shall I use wood filler or there is a stronger resin that will work better?

Sponsored Links
You have not described it, but I have as feeling yours is a panelled door, or possibly bead and butt.

The cracks and joints will open and close depending in the moisture level in the wood, which is dependent on weather and humidity. A flexible or silicone sealant will take up the movement by elasticity without cracking. Trying to fill the crack with paint or hard filler will make it look worse.

Post some pics of your door and the crack.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

skika flex mastic can be used to fill large gaps and can be sanded and over painted its used in the boat industry so your door wont sink after

Sponsored Links
The crack is about 300 mm long and only 1-2 mm wide…you can see it from both sides of the door.
I try to understand how to do a good job since the door is exposed to the elements…

The technology of panels. Panels are meant to be free floating so as to be able to expand and contract as the seasons change. They are held in position by the groove that surrounds them. Your panel is held in place at the edges probably by stray bits of glue from construction or paint build up so, when the panel tries to shrink there is only one place it can split; inevitably right in the middle. To do the job properly you must free the panel at the edges and glue it back together on the crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back