EPC: Will secondary glazing improve my score?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rental property whose EPC is just 3 points outside the new minimum requirements (band E or better). It's a middle floor flat with solid granite walls and single glazed, wooden sash windows. It's also listed.

I can't afford £thousands and I can get a point or two with led lighting, etc. In my home, I used a cheap plastic+magnet secondary glazing (you can take it off in the summer) and was quite impressed. I wondered if I could do the same here and if it would get me over the threshold?

I can't find anywhere the rules on how epc scores are calculated and I don't want to do the work and then find the inspector leaves me a point shy!

Sponsored Links
Firstly what did your assessor advise? Did you discuss the windows with him?
As for the EPC standards (rules) - I'd also like to know as it does seem to be a secret society.

Firstly what did your assessor advise? Did you discuss the windows with him?
As for the EPC standards (rules) - I'd also like to know as it does seem to be a secret society.
The EPC came with the property. It advises replacing the windows with modern double glazing but of course it would!

Sponsored Links
To be honest, I recommend you find an assessor - they are listed on Link. Enter the properties postcode and you will get a list of assessors. Have a ring round them and discuss the issue; when you find a helpful one get them out to do a new assessment but preferably not register it. They should also offer you some advice. Do make them aware that the property is Listed as the rules can be flexible for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back