eplace a 2 way switch with a 2 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to relace a 2 way hall light switch with a 2 gang switch so that i can add a wall light. the existing switch box has a red-to com blue-to L 1 and yellow-to L2. the new switch metal has two switches and the new ligh has also red blue and yellow. i can get the existing light working ok but have had no luck with wiring up yhe new wall light, can any body help!

Sponsored Links
We might be able to help if you can tell us what's on the other end of that new cable! Is it part of another two-way switching set-up?

And if the new wall light doesn't have two way switching then why do you have three core (and earth) cable leading to its switch?

as mentioned what is te other end of this cable, where are you getting the supply for te new light, a look in the for refernce section is in order me thinks

the existing switch is at the end of a hall and is 2 way. I WANT TO CHANGE THIS TWO A 2 GANG SWITCH to install a wall light. the existing wiring into the switch box are, yellow, black and red. i want to add the new swicth with two switches on it and draw power from this to the new wall light. the wall light is a 25 watt hallogen recess light, it has three wires red, blue end earth

Sponsored Links
no need to shout. you haven`t got the right cabling too this switch to power wall lights, there is no neutral. it can be done however you will need to get a neutral to the switch there is a permanent live there tho.

toga said:
i want to add the new swicth with two switches on it and draw power from this to the new wall light.

we are trying to help you, shouting is not nice, (see item 6 ) and i did say you should look in the for refernce section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back