Epoxy Grout - Colour Matched to Exisiting Cement Grout...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I had my bathroom done around 2 or 3 years ago.

We have small hexagonal floor tiles laid upon screed (due to electric UFH). The tiles are quite low profile and therefore not much grout down the side of the meshed hexagonal tiles.

The cement grout has washed out in small areas simply through use of the overhead shower. I would say 90% of it is still good.

I regret not having epoxy grout installed in and around the shower area given it is more hard wearing.

Is it possible to proivide a sample of the colour of the installed grout to a company out there and have an epoxy grout colour matched to it so that I could do spot repairs.

Given the nature of the tiles it would be a lot of fiddly scraping out, hence my desire to do colour matched epoxy grout repairs.

I look forward to any suggestions you may have. I have attached a few pictures of the area desribed above.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 2.jpg

Dont mess with the wall tile or the floor mosaic - you could open a can of worms for yourself.
The thick grey line at the floor to wall abutments is probably a coloured silicon sealant - if thats what you mean?

But if you want to go ahead then yes similar coloured epoxy grout could be provided although you will never get a perfect match.
fwiw: powdered grout should never "wash out" in two years. Probably an improper mix and installation.

Dont mess with the wall tile or the floor mosaic - you could open a can of worms for yourself.
The thick grey line at the floor to wall abutments is probably a coloured silicon sealant - if thats what you mean?

But if you want to go ahead then yes similar coloured epoxy grout could be provided although you will never get a perfect match.
fwiw: powdered grout should never "wash out" in two years. Probably an improper mix and installation.

I am not intending on touching the wall tile or floor mosaic... purely just the grout of the white mosaic tiles.

I have renewed some of the grey silicone at the floor mosaic to wall tile 90 degree interface... I am aware of the silicone the tiler used and cut out and replace as and when necessary.

It seems I am no further forward in my quest to get colour matched epoxy grout.

Also is there a good way to remove grout finely i.e. a dremmel with an attachment for accurate work?

Kind regards, Gordon

Sponsored Links
A Dremmel will work fine on sufficiently wide joins but attempting to remove the grout from mosaic's would be an endless, finicky job - but given the time and attention to detail its possible.
You would need a delicate touch not to pierce any water proofing below the mosaic.

As regards a matching colored grout then you could use white grout and test mix with a coloring powder (contact large adhesive and grout Mfr's) until you were reasonably satisfied?

A Dremmel will work fine on sufficiently wide joins but attempting to remove the grout from mosaic's would be an endless, finicky job - but given the time and attention to detail its possible.
You would need a delicate touch not to pierce any water proofing below the mosaic.

As regards a matching colored grout then you could use white grout and test mix with a coloring powder (contact large adhesive and grout Mfr's) until you were reasonably satisfied?

Which large adhesive and grout manufacturers would you recommend that I try to contact?

I think this is going to be a bid of a sod of a job.

I used Mapei epoxy grout in my bathroom, they make it in various colours, perhaps it would be a good idea to find one as close as you can.
That said I won't use it again, as I found it very difficult to clean up, it took ages.

I don't think fill the fallen out areas in your floor will last that long, it will need properly raking out and regrouting.

Last time I raked out grout (didn't like the colour) I used a Stanley knife and a hoover, again another time consuming job.

Perhaps raking out loose and regrouting in 'normal' powdered ground may be better solution, there are lots of off the shelf greys, so a near match should be fairly close.

I think this is going to be a bid of a sod of a job.

I used Mapei epoxy grout in my bathroom, they make it in various colours, perhaps it would be a good idea to find one as close as you can.
That said I won't use it again, as I found it very difficult to clean up, it took ages.

I don't think fill the fallen out areas in your floor will last that long, it will need properly raking out and regrouting.

Last time I raked out grout (didn't like the colour) I used a Stanley knife and a hoover, again another time consuming job.

Perhaps raking out loose and regrouting in 'normal' powdered ground may be better solution, there are lots of off the shelf greys, so a near match should be fairly close.

Yeah would be inclined to agree - a time consuming job for sure and I will never opt nor recommend mosaic tiles again given how many grout lines there are. Larget format tiles and less grout lines are a better way to go.

Concerns

1. Depth of the mosaic tiles - not much for getting grout into; especially when you have tile adhesive coming up between each of the little tiles.

2. Upon raking the grout out I may cut the netting which secures a group of mosaics together; would then be in a real mess if that were to happen and would have to redo large sections I reckon. Unless I purposefully replace a sections or something?

I have lost faith in cementitious grout to be honest. However I do think the lack of grout I am able to get down the sides of each little mosaic is not sufficient to the overall security of the tiles. Tiles has come loose twice now so am not looking to put back in place a solution which I think is part of the problem; hence my turning to epoxy grout.

NB. I have a Numatic CVD570 - fantastic wet and dry vac - so no issues hoovering out the grout and generally cleaning up mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back