Equilibrium ball valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had a problem with the ball valve in cold water tank in loft. I replaced it but now get a mild case of water hammer coming from loft area.

I am wondering if the old valve was an equilibrium valve, which would explain it, as I just fitted a straight forward cheap one. I still have the old one. How can I tell please, if it is an equilibrium one.

Many thanks

Graham

Sponsored Links
if it was a brass valve with a long arm and a round plastic float, almost certainly not. Such equilibrium valves are very expensive.

More likely your new valve is cheap rubbish (sorry) or it has a low-pressure cone in it. Does it have a plastic bridge over the top directing the water jet down?

the Pegler Prestex is very good
http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-float-valve-part-2/27627

Thanks for the reply

Yes the original was a brass valve with long arm, etc.
The new one could well be rubbish, I dont know. I bought it from a reputable plumbers merchant.
It doesnt have the plastic piece to point water down (the old one did), but the water comes out at right angles to the valve as the exit points straight down to the tank without the plastic piece.

Thanks for the reply

The new one could well be rubbish, I dont know. I bought it from a reputable plumbers merchant.
It doesnt have the plastic piece to point water down (the old one did), but the water comes out at right angles to the valve as the exit points straight down to the tank without the plastic piece.

Sound like a portsmouth ball valve. I might be wrong but i thought this type of valve was banned. As people used to stick a copper pipe into the outlet. Causing risk of backflow.

Sponsored Links
that type of valve is not banned, but it is not permitted to attach it to the incoming water supply from the mains, due to risk of contamination. It is OK to use it on water supplied from a tank, e.g. a WC cistern which is supplied from a loft tank.

Save up and get the one in my link, as well as being much better, it is permitted for the situation you have.

Thanks for the reply

Sound like a portsmouth ball valve. I might be wrong but i thought this type of valve was banned. As people used to stick a copper pipe into the outlet. Causing risk of backflow.

BS1212 Part 1,2 & 3 The Water Byelaws only permit a Part 2 & 3 valve to be fitted.

Thanks very much. It appears the local plumber is perhaps not as reputable as I thought, as I told them exactly what i need it for.

And the one on the link above is only £8.59 so I can certainly stretch to that. Thanks so much, really appreciate the help

Graham

With the information you guys kindly shared, I have been googling and now understand the difference, at least in appearance of Part 1 and part 2 valves.

My old one was definitely part 2 valve, as it had the white plastic on top and also the arm had a factory-made right angle.
The replacement I fitted had no right angle in the arm, so I had bent it (illegal I now realise), and the water outlet points straight down with no white plastic.

So here is my new question. Are there any other differences to the inner workings between 1 & 2 ? I will replace it asap regardless, but is it logical that part 1 is the source of the hammer noise, that I didnt have with the old part 1 valve?

Thanks very much. It appears the local plumber is perhaps not as reputable as I thought, as I told them exactly what i need it for.

And the one on the link above is only £8.59 so I can certainly stretch to that. Thanks so much, really appreciate the help

Graham

Surely you mean Plumbers' Merchants???!! You clearly think the 'counter rat' at said merchants would be fully trained in the Water Regulation?? Most can't string two words together let alone study anything!!

It's a right laugh standing in a Q at Screwfix for example as some DaftDIYer is asking the wee lassie behind the counter advice on his central heating!! Or even worse his f.cking boiler!!!

Do you go into your local Petrol Station & ask the staff advice on fixing your brakes??......... :LOL: :LOL:

Read the Buyer's Reviews comments on the one I linked.

Hi
It would be bad manners not to report back and say thanks. I fitted a "type 2" valve as recommended from screwfix two days ago and so far, so good.

Clearly I paid too much credit to the plumbers merchant who sold me the part 1 valve previously!

Thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back