Equilibrium valves for toilet cisterns - reliablity?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've noticed that it's getting harder to find normal ball valves for toilet cisterns in DIY shops etc.. Everyone seems to be moving towards "equilibrium valves" which just have a small blue 'pot' rather than a proper ball float.

p4771201_l.jpg

Does anyone have any experience of the reliability of this type of valve? The only thing I've used which was similar was a Fluidmaster 400 Quiet Fill valve, which just used to overflow all the time due to a tiny grain of sand or something in the water (they have no filter). I ripped it out and put a normal ball valve in instead after it overflowed a 5th time in a month (I have a lot of sand/grit in my water - despite an amazingly cleaning looking loft tank). I like the quiet nature of them (as it's for an ensuite) but am worried that it will be just as unreliable as a Fluidmaster.

Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with them

they have been in use for years

if you have grit in the incoming main fit a strainer

otherwise it won't make any difference what you use :idea:

Torbeck valves are as good as any until they start whinning in 10 years time.

You can still buy brass ballvalves :eek:

Yeah but my brand new brass ball valve takes about 10 minute to stop dripping. It's really irritating! :) The cheap fix is to direct the water output into a sloping tube to catch and silence the drips, but hardly a nice solution. Some valves have a sleeve the water runs down to keep it quiet, but I'm unable to find a normal ball valve which has this - only the equilibrium types I have little experience of.

Sponsored Links
That's because of water regs and backflow prevention. If you want a quite life get the Torbec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back